Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new to this group so hopefully I do this right.. I have a Jetta that started randomly stalling at red lights and stop signs. Sometimes I would get lucky and it would fire right back up other times I would have to sit there for a while and keep trying.. noticed if I repeatedly pressed on the gas pedal at a fast pace after a few times it would start back up.. ran code reader multiple times always same code which would come back to cam shaft position sensor. Multiple mechanics told me the cam shaft position sensor and crank shaft sensor would cause very similar issues so replace both.. I have now replaced both sensor's car started and ran for about 30 seconds I plugged in code reader to clear the old codes and the car shut off and hasn't started since.. it will crank but won't fire.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it is currently my only mode of transportation and has been down for a month!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mornin',
You need more than a code reader..........a full diagnosis to determine fault area with live data. Any good shop. I have a'02 Passat 1.8 turbo wagon, parts chasing rocket. I have a shop in n. Connecticut.........Podaic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're a patient person. If I am a pedestrian for a day, I will have to make a serious plan. Why not put the old parts back, at least you then have an intermittent running vehicle? I don't have any advice other than try getting proper diagnosis if replacing parts don't help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for responding. I'm being told that I possibly locked out the ecm due to not unhooking the negative battery cable before changing sensors. Bad mistake but it never crossed my mind. I've heard there's a way to unlock the ecm without a garage but I've had no confirmed method told to me. Any truth to this or anything I can try?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Paposean,
Check ignition for spark, then fuel pressure, diagnosis hook up to check data.........possible bad ignition switch............podaic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts