Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 beetle this morning the wipers, turn signals, heat and air cond, and the headlights will not work. It did this 1 day last week as well. The sunroof power windows and locks plus brake lights and day time lights work. Has anyone had this problem. I checked all fuses they are not blown.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, I can only try to help. I only have a Haynes manual.
Headlights, Power starts at ign sw, thru light sw. thru daytime running lights change over relay. ( located in 13 position aux relay panel )Thru fuse 21 (left hd light) & 20 for rt. to ground.

1st. question..do you have daytime running lights?

The wiper motor & switch both go thru a wiper/washer intermittent relay..also located in the "13 pos aux relay panel".

Turn signals..go thru a load reduction relay, located in the "13 pos aux relay panel" !!

See anything in common? Yep, I'd start looking at that " 13 pos aux relay panel", wherever that is. My book leaves alot to be desired, but maybe you can locate it and do some looking around for possibly a burnt or disconnected wire. Be careful not to short anything, and disconnect your battery ( write down radio code 1st ) to play it safe.
I hope I helped
Please post anything you find. Your vw may vary a bit from the book, but it is supposed to be good for 98-2010.
Hoyt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just found this...The relay panel is located under the dash board, above the drivers feet, remove the lower cover panel to access relay box.

Hopefully that helps
Hoyt

·
Registered
8 Posts
The relay panel and 13-position auxiliary relay panel are located in the driver side
footwell, behind the lower instrument panel trim.

Relay location on the thirteen position auxiliary relay panel, above relay panel:
1 - Alarm System Light Flasher Relay (404)
2 - Alarm System Light Flasher Relay (200)
3 - Back-up Light Relay (53)
3 - Lock Relay for Starter (Theft Warning System) (185)
4 - Lock Relay for Starter (Clutch pedal Switch) (53)
7 - Daytime Running Lights Change-over Relay (173)
8 - Daytime Running Lights Change-over Relay (173)
8 - Heated Exterior Mirror Relay (53)
9 - Alarm Horn Relay (53)
10 - Glow Plug Relay (180)
10 - Third Speed Coolant Fan Control (FC) Relay (100)*
11 - Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Relay (126) (175)
12 - Power Supply (Terminal 30, B+) Relay (109)

* Only applies to 1.8L turbo engines

Relay panel:
1 - Dual Horn Relay (53)
2 - Load Reduction Relay (18) (100) (213)
4 - Fuel Pump (FP) Relay (409)
V - Wiper/Washer Intermittent Relay (192) (377) (389)
VI - Wiper/Washer Intermittent Relay (192) (377) (389)
Got this on internet. Take a good look around the #12 relay especially.
Hoyt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found this...The relay panel is located under the dash board, above the drivers feet, remove the lower cover panel to access relay box.

Hopefully that helps
Hoyt
hey hoyt,

did a little checking and found that it is the ignition switch. not the keyed part, but the electrical portion on the backside of the key switch. i replaced it and it's doing fine. thanks for your help, jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very easy fix cuz had same problem. Take cover off that surrounds the ignition switch [2 phillips headed screws reached from under steering wheel]a big electrical plug has become partially unplugged.This happens sometimes when adjusting tilt . Merely plug it back in solidly and your good to re-assemble and go for a drive.....................Good fixing............Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts