Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 07 Beetle convertible with a 2.5 litre, automatic drive train. It has about 81K miles and is in very good shape. After having it for a few days I noticed that when it is started in the morning the red temp sensor flashes after the motor has run for about five seconds. If you turn it off and restart it once or twice this message goes away. I did check the coolant level and it is just above the "min" mark in the bottle. It is also not hot since this only happens when it is just started in the morning (does not happen other times of the day).

After a bit of research, I purchased a new temp sensor (it had the original "black" one). New one is green from the local parts store. Replaced with no issues although I still get this red flashing lights in the morning.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thanks

JL

·
Registered
4 Posts
ive been struggling with this too , its an airlock near the temp sensor. i ran mine for 10 minutes with the cap off the expansion tank and it seemed to clear it , so you could try that and see if it helps
Anthony

·
Registered
4 Posts
quick update , mine came back , same as yours flashes hot too quickly to be overheating but i think i know whats going on now , i'm leaning towards the head gasket , i have all the other symptoms , when i start it is missing a couple of cylinders for about 5 seconds , then there is a puff of white smoke and it clears then the hot light comes on and goes off after about half a mile of driving

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouch... nothing personal although I am hoping your situation is isolated. I saw a similar situation on another board which turned out to be a bad sensor in the expansion tank. I have ordered a new tank and intend to replace it first. I am hoping that solves my problem. Head gasket does not sound like a good time...... :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts