Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I’ve had my beetle for a while now and I am restoring it I’ve come to do my gauge face as the previous owner painted over the numbers, I’m trying to make a vinyl template but I can’t quite get it to line up any help would be much appreciated or a digital version of the gauge so I can cut it out many thanks
Gauge Font Measuring instrument Motor vehicle Circle

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
191 Posts
A photo of the actual gauge face would be useful here but I suspect finding one without the needle showing, all the edges showing, watermarks, or glare from the plastic cover might be hard.

I would suggest you scan the gauge in a flatbed scanner. Import into a program like powerpoint or libreoffice Impress. Size the gauge face so that when you print the gauge face it prints out exactly the same size as the actual gauge face. Place all the text you need and the speed marks on top of the gauge drawing at their exact locations. Put circles, boxes and arrows where they appear on the gauge. Draw a fine circle around the gauge face and one slightly larger around the tabs that stick out. Once this is completed and a copy saved, delete the scanned image. Use the fill function to fill in the biggest circle with the color of the gauge face you want and send the circle to the background. Save another copy and now print on some adhesive backed photo paper or just photo paper that you can attach to the gauge face using a light coat of Super 77 adhesive spray or similar. The better the printer, the better the face will look. You will probably need an actual photo printer or go to the UK equivalent of Staples or Office Depot who can print it in high quality. Attach to the face plate and carefully cut out all the holes with a #11 scalpel knife from the front so as not to damage the edges of the holes. Now you should have a nice looking, or custom looking, gauge face to reassemble in the speedometer assembly. I would suggest you print out two or three copies. If one does not go on straight, use some acetone to remove and try again.

In the photo above, it looks like someone has put in marks where the actual speeds should be. I can see that the 0mph big mark cannot possibly be where it is because of the needle stop. The little mark looks more likely where it should be. If the marks are not right you can move them in the powerpoint to get the gauge better calibrated at lower speeds. You can make a line as thick as the actual mark should be and put one end in the exact center of the hole for the needle and line the other end up so the line is to the left of the needle stop. At the edge, that is where 0mph should be. Looks like whoever put those large marks on put many of them in the wrong places.

This is what I typically do when making overlays for gauges, meters and front panels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Tony I put the little markings on with a sharpie as you can slightly see where the original markings were so this helps a lot, scanning it through a scanner is a great idea as taking a picture you can’t get it perfectly straight but I think the little pin sticking out for the needle to rest on will get in the way but I can still give that a try. I am using a vinyl cutter to cut out the markings so it makes it easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts