Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law purchased and built a Duesenberg model kit car in 1984. The engine and chassis came with it as part of the deal. The invoice showed it was a 1965 Beetle with an engine that was rebuilt in 1971. The starter motor has become worn and I purchased a replacement starter online. When I cross referenced the model info, the site stated "this will fit your vehicle". The drive pinion was noticeably smaller than the original and the bushing went in a lot easier than the old one came out. I should have taken this as a red flag because what I didn't notice is that the starter gear was also smaller. The new one has a 15/16 diameter and the old one 1 1/8. A mistake
i won't make again (needless to say). It started ok, but at about the 5th start, it started making a racket and ended doing hopefully minor damage to the flywheel.
My question is can anybody tell me where i went wrong? Was the engine taken from a bus rather than a Beetle? Was he duped on the model year? Thank you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My father-in-law purchased and built a Duesenberg model kit car in 1984. The engine and chassis came with it as part of the deal. The invoice showed it was a 1965 Beetle with an engine that was rebuilt in 1971. The starter motor has become worn and I purchased a replacement starter online. When I cross referenced the model info, the site stated "this will fit your vehicle". The drive pinion was noticeably smaller than the original and the bushing went in a lot easier than the old one came out. I should have taken this as a red flag because what I didn't notice is that the starter gear was also smaller. The new one has a 15/16 diameter and the old one 1 1/8. A mistake
i won't make again (needless to say). It started ok, but at about the 5th start, it started making a racket and ended doing hopefully minor damage to the flywheel.
My question is can anybody tell me where i went wrong? Was the engine taken from a bus rather than a Beetle? Was he duped on the model year? Thank you.
Sounds as if there was mix up on the year of the engine, or a mix up on whether was a manual or standard transmission. The manuals I have show the major differences are more about transmission type that years. Hope that helps. Did the old starter appear to line up and fit CORRECTLY.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Both starters fit the lipped slot and bolt alignment perfectly with the exception of the drive pinion and gear on the new one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes. Both starters fit the lipped slot and bolt alignment perfectly with the exception of the drive pinion and gear on the new one.
I am pretty sure, from Look I g at the ,manuals I have, the new starter you got was possibly for different transmission, what transmission do you have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My knowledge of VW's is limited to what I've learned in the last week while helping my father-in-law. There is no documentation available for this vehicle other than the invoice which only stated the model year. It is a manual 4 speed H pattern with reverse being pushed down and to the left and back. Is that standard with VW's?

·
Registered
337 Posts
My knowledge of VW's is limited to what I've learned in the last week while helping my father-in-law. There is no documentation available for this vehicle other than the invoice which only stated the model year. It is a manual 4 speed H pattern with reverse being pushed down and to the left and back. Is that standard with VW's?
Yes that is a standard transmission, you can find the engine identification number stamped on the engine. It is located on the block(The main body of the engine), directly under the generator mounting bracket and the oil filler tube. A lot of VW parts are determined by a range of engine numbers,may help in locating the r8ght starter. Am. Dry interested in your proje t, would love to see a few pics sometime. By the way I am located in Florida, may i ask where i am talking to

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a thought - a 65 beetle would have been 6v, a 71 beetle 12v. The starter motors will be different for 6v/12v. Not sure thats your issue but just thought it might be worth mentioning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts