Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 1980 Caddy w/ 1.6 NA.

Not that it matters a whole lot if I go with a full manual system, but what wire on the GP relay socket is what by color code? The 2 BIG wires are obvious. As for the rest, one of them is power coming from the key, another goes to the dash lamp. another comes from a temp sensor on the engine, while another is a ground. Currently to start it up as I've yet to get keyed power to the IP solenoid...long ago PO dc'd as the wire just hangs there alongside the GP relay...I use a jumper wire from the LIVE (+) side of the relay...clip the IP lead to it then touch it to the other big GP wire to warm them while counting to 7 before starting with key.

The other issue as I slowly attempt to get this thing on the road is the headlight circuit. All 4 fuses in the panel look intact. Hard to test the driver's HL with a battery in the way & too-short of leads but the passenger lamp works. But it only comes on when holding the dimmer switch where it would be when flashing them...driver's doesn't come on which means either a bad lamp or connection elsewhere. HI & LOW do NOT work otherwise. Bad relay (if present)? With switch on (tail lights work) I get no power at the socket.

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
Download Chris's wiring diagrams.
They have a good breakdown on all the circuits.

I would first suspect the ignition switch, then test the load reduction relay.

Also if you have 7 second glow plugs, and a waitforever relay that won't work, as the relays are for specific sets of GP's. so you need to verify them.

Then you can look at Vince Waldon's Glow Plug gimme.

Read all the above then I bet you could figure it out from there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuse panel is the wide but short. Uses the color coded type that look like glass but no glass.

Going full manual for the GPs is straight forward enough as I've done it to my 84. Might still do it. Just need to figure out which wire on the socket is supposed to receive the power and say...which goes to the dash lamp as it's not part of the cluster which consists ONLY of a speedo + fuel. Dummy lights (I hate dummy lights...the only USEFUL one is for charging) for everything else. The engine has 7 second plugs. How to tell the difference on the relays? Part #?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one minus the 2 upper bits. I'm missing most of the row just above the fuses.
1578335446556.png

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok it was NOT supposed to double post itself. WTB EDIT BUTTON BACK!

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
Comparing a early westy Diesel to a 80 Cabriolet is apples to oranges.
I don't have my old 80 Diesel book.... so I can point you to the general directions.

From the 4crawler site.
  • Slow Glow: (wait-forever)
    • Plugs:
      • VW p/n:
      • Bosch p/n:
      • Current draw: 9A/plug, silver colored terminal
    • Relay:
      • VW p/n: 321-911-621
      • Bosch p/n:
  • Fast Glow: ( 7 Second)
    • Plugs:
      • VW p/n:
      • Bosch p/n:
      • Current draw: 12A/plug, brass colored terminal
    • Relay:
      • VW p/n: 171-911-261A-E
      • Bosch p/n: 0.281.003.099
If you look at Chris's pages, they spell out the Diesel Glow Plug circuit very well, all the relays are the same pin out.....

If you look at 50, 86, and L at the top those are all inputs from the ignition switch, which is why I mentioned it.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wasn't trying to compare. It was the 1st one I came across where the image showed the correct type of fuse panel. I even tried using DIESEL in the search

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just in case it's a connection issue...the light switch is the toggle-type. Not even sure if I have it saved anywhere but would need the direction to remove the dash face. Sadly it's not as straight forward as the later models.

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
Pictures of the dash would help us, as I thought all the early 70-82 had the pull switch on the lights.
The Toggle was a latter 82-93.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sure?

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GRRRR!!! I miss EDIT option. Blasted thing doubled again. I'd use photobucket but it wants me to pay now to avoid the watermark.
EDIT: Nevermind. Found it.

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm. Might be right I think. Forgot about that. My 84 the running lights are on with the knob (on that one) pulled out all the way but the headlights won't come on unless the key is on...doesn't have to be running. Don't remember if I had the key on or not. As soon as I get back around to tinkering with the thing I'll double check then get back to you on if I deserve getting hit in the head with the "DOH!" club.

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
I'll double check then get back to you on if I deserve getting hit in the head with the "DOH!" club.
Nah, we all have had those moments.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yep, just had one of those moments about hooking my solar powered battery to the iPad. Got caught up trying to find a bunch of adapters when the cord for the iPad has all I need right on it. DoH, as in PLAY DOH. Don't eat it cause its not real dough!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts