Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from work, I put the car into neutral and came to a stop sign. The idle shot up to 3k RPM and I shut the car down as soon as I got home (which was down the street). I think it's the throttle cable but I'm not sure how to test what it is, any tips or solutions to fix the high idle?

·
Registered
380 Posts
On my way home from work, I put the car into neutral and came to a stop sign. The idle shot up to 3k RPM and I shut the car down as soon as I got home (which was down the street). I think it's the throttle cable but I'm not sure how to test what it is, any tips or solutions to fix the high idle?
It's possible that the brass idle air adjustment screw on the back of the throttle body has fallen out. If not, I'd suggest lubricating the throttle body mechanism/linkage on top of the throttle body first. Also using carburetor cleaner for inside the throttle body. You'll have to remove the "S" shaped tube to the fuel distributor unit first. You can open and close the two butterfly discs inside the throttle body manually by working the linkage on top of the throttle body that the throttle cable is attached to, pulling the linkage by hand---see if the cable allows the linkage to come to a full rest to check the cable itself.I had the screw in back fall out on a long trip and covered the hole with aluminum foil to bring the idle back to normal, restricting the air flow in place of the missing adjustment screw. A cable tie or a piece of wire could be used to keep the foil in place over the hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts