Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to forum and wanted to introduce myself. I live in the High Desert of Southern California. I bought some time ago a pretty complete 1983 hecho en Mexico standard bug. Previous owner got it titled in Mississippi as s 1972. It is now a 1972 CA titled car. I bought used front fenders, rear valance and engine deck lid from a local vw backyard VW wrecking yard. The guy told me my front fenders look like 1969-1972 US bugs. I contacted Jbugs about interior kit as they don't list one for 1983. They told me they would have to see what I have as Mexico built bugs with whatever parts they had. Maybe that explains front fenders. It has the older style rear axle too. Finally getting ready to start on it. Moved it into garage. When i first bought it engine would turn, had compression and no end play
. Seller said it had main seal leak and would not idle. Tried to start and lights dim but starter not turning. My plsan is to get it up on stands and checking ground connection at starter. Replace starter if bad. If I can get it to run it will be full speed ahead. Anybody know anything in particular about Mexican bugs? Supposed to be a 1600 dual port. Will try to post pictures tomorrow. Internet not cooperating tonight.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am new to forum and wanted to introduce myself. I live in the High Desert of Southern California. I bought some time ago a pretty complete 1983 hecho en Mexico standard bug. Previous owner got it titled in Mississippi as s 1972. It is now a 1972 CA titled car. I bought used front fenders, rear valance and engine deck lid from a local vw backyard VW wrecking yard. The guy told me my front fenders look like 1969-1972 US bugs. I contacted Jbugs about interior kit as they don't list one for 1983. They told me they would have to see what I have as Mexico built bugs with whatever parts they had. Maybe that explains front fenders. It has the older style rear axle too. Finally getting ready to start on it. Moved it into garage. When i first bought it engine would turn, had compression and no end play View attachment 43813 . Seller said it had main seal leak and would not idle. Tried to start and lights dim but starter not turning. My plsan is to get it up on stands and checking ground connection at starter. Replace starter if bad. If I can get it to run it will be full speed ahead. Anybody know anything in particular about Mexican bugs? Supposed to be a 1600 dual port. Will try to post pictures tomorrow. Internet not cooperating tonight.
welcome to the group.Looks like a nice project car. Hope you can sort out the Mexico vs US issue as far as parts. Keep us posted please

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome to the group.Looks like a nice project car. Hope you can sort out the Mexico vs US issue as far as parts. Keep us posted please
Thanks. Maybe I can load pictures today. Guess not. Old pics must not be in Cloud. Just get a Cloud malfunction message and phone freezes. Will take new pics and try again.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks. Maybe I can load pictures today. Guess not. Old pics must not be in Cloud. Just get a Cloud malfunction message and phone freezes. Will take new pics and try again.
dont you just love modern tech. A lot of us are having phone issues of late

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is glass. I saw them on many Mexican bugs in Google search. I hate the taillights. Thinking if rear fenders need replacement will put earlier style. Have lights already

·
Registered
385 Posts
It is glass. I saw them on many Mexican bugs in Google search. I hate the taillights. Thinking if rear fenders need replacement will put earlier style. Have lights already
i like the old tail light and front fender lights better also. i remember seeing some pics of the glass sun roof on a few older vws, most had a rag top though

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i like the old tail light and front fender lights better also. i remember seeing some pics of the glass sun roof on a few older vws, most had a rag top though
I remember the rag top sunroofs. I think they were early models. I remember s coach had one when I was in high school. It was more ragged than rag top then and that was in 1964 or '65. I think the opening was much larger too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, after only eight months, finally started. Removed starter and it is shot. Bad bearings, solenoid cracked. Has a "remanufactured in Mexico" tag. Thinking now I should remove the engine clean it up and test it out of car. I bought a partial differential to do that. Turning by wrench it has compression and no noticeable end play. Plenty of oil underneath from leaky main seal.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
59 Posts
Interesting project. A few observations:
It does not look like a factory sunroof but rather an aftermarket unit. Factory ones did not have a lip around them and factory sunroofs retracted into the car and rolled back. I don't like that tail light style either but they are safer than any of the earlier cars tail lights. The older models would tend to get hit from behind because the brake lights or tail lights were hard to see. I would probably keep them.

The engine looks a bit like a 72 or 73 model and this one had smog on it originally. You can tell by the pipe sticking out of the intake manifold just under the carb and the pipe plug in the right side exhaust tube going up under the intake manifold. This may not be the original engine. Look up the numbers stamped into the case just under the alternator stand. They will give you some clues about the age and model the engine goes to. Also check the VIN number stamped in the tunnel under the back seat for build/year info. VW Germany can give you the correct info from their records.
Once you get the engine out you will be able to tell if it has proper end play. The front main seal may be leaking because of to little end play overheating the seal. In any case you will need to remove the flywheel to replace the seal, and you can set the end play correctly at that time. Hopefully the seal mating surface on the flywheel is in good shape or it will leak again.

Assuming there is no major rust in the floor pans, the overall body looks ok from the pictures. Should be a pretty good project car. Make sure you find all the sheet metal for the engine compartment, or you will be plagued with overheating problems in the area you live in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has a México tag, manufactured in 1983. I did some research and found in 1983 a company was buying new bugs in Mexico and after meeting Federal safety standards, selling them in US. They were not legal in California but no doubt had to meet US smog laws. Engine is stamped hecho en México so think original. Who knows if ever rebuilt. There were some tin panels in car I'm hoping are for engine. I have seen those goofy sunroofs on Mexican bugs in photos but quite likely aftermarket. I almost didn't buy it because of that. Here are some photos. Tag hard to read because I duct taped over it so VIN verifier wouldn't see the '83 date and question my '72 title. Also is a 1983 color called aubergine. I found it listed fir a special edition 1983 1300 model bug exported from vw of Mexico to Germany. The US imports supposedly had dual port 1600.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
59 Posts
AF = 1971-1982 1600cc 46bhp DIN, Non-USA M240 low octane, dual relief and dual port. Seems right for the car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if starter motor and other parts will be standard for those same years? US suppliers stop at '77 for standard bugs. Hopefully I can source a starter and whatever else I need.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are only two starters for the aircooled beetle, 6V and 12V, and you have a 12V. Almost all the parts for your engine should be the same as most carburated late model engines around 1971 and later. Stock carburetors will vary a bit by year. Be careful making sure the throw out bearing matches the type of fingers on your pressure plate if you change either. Make sure you get the right points and condenser for the distributor. If you change the fuel pump, get one that looks like then one you have. That is about it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, thanks again. Carburetor is PICT34 so should be a standard rebuild kit. What do you think of the performance carburetors?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have built many stock to high horsepower engines, foreign and domestic. For the VWs, I have used a variety of carbs from the single 32PICT to Dual 48IDAs. I also have used the Solex/Kadrons and Holley bug sprays on 1600 to 1835cc VWs.

A lot of the decision of which carb setup to use has to do with what the engine needs, for how it is put together, and how you are going to use it. I have built custom engines for others and have learned one of the biggest problems is getting a friend or customer to be honest about what they want and expect.
So, are you staying with the current engine and thinking of just changing the carb? Putting headers on it or adding a different cam? Stinger or muffler? Daily driver or street racing? Tell me what you want to do to the engine and what you will really be doing with the car. Is this just a first step, and have a bigger engine for phase II?

If I was going to stay with the existing engine, I would probably start by adding headers/muffler and rejetting the card to work with the less restricted exhaust. If no other changes to the engine, I would go no further than putting a set of Kadrons on it. I would also swap out the points to electronic ignition.

I suspect since the engine was built to low octane gas, it probably does not have enough compression to make much more horsepower. Now if you want to build something like an 1835cc or 1968cc engine, you will be getting into a lot more GO. Let me know what your plans are.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'll likely keep it pretty stock. It has an Empi four tube exhaust now but don't know if that let's it breathe better. I think I'll replace the oil bath air cleaner. Rebuild kits are cheap and so am I so I'll start with rebuilding the stock carburetor. Now, if it turns out I need to rebuild the engine....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts