Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Thanks in advance for some advice.

Specs
1985 golf
1.6 Diesel engine
5 speed
Power steering
No A/c

Now that that’s out of the way we can get to it haha! The other day I was coming home on the interstate and I noticed a slight tick sound coming from the engine compartment. I didn’t lose power or anything so I just kept listening. I got to my exit and the noise persisted but still a light noise and no power loss. Continued home (about two miles)and at about .25 miles from my house the noise got gradually obnoxious and I lost power. My first thought was stock lifters took a dump so I tore the valve cover and can off and replaced the lifters but that didn’t fix it. I moved towards thinking about injectors so I cracked them one by one and got the noise to go away when I cracked the furthest one to the left with no more motor chugging than when they were all tight. So I replaced that injector but no fixie? Idk I think I’m going to tear the head off as soon as my timing tools show up but in the mean time does anyone have any thoughts? Might tear off the oil pan to see if I have some carnage in there in the next day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welp it’s been more than a day or two haha but I finally got around to tinkering with the golf. Come to find out I might possibly have a main bearing or a wrist pin issue I’m a thinkin. I can turn the engine over and on the down stroke I can push the number one piston down about an eighth of an inch with a very noticeable metallic sound haha. I plan on pulling the engine and trans next week. A fella down the road graciously gifted me a complete (kinda, we will get to that later) 1.6 Diesel engine. So I will stuff that in there for the time being. The engine is in about six Rubbermaid totes so I’m not sure if it’s complete or not but all the main components are there, crank rods cam head intake exhaust pistons clutch etc... I do have a bently manual for this vehicle so we are set there but if any of you have some insight to what I would possibly need to freshen this engine up PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! I am not an engine builder nor have I built an engine besides a few dirt bikes here and there. I plan on taking the head apart and doing valve seats, seals, and springs. Deglazing cyl. Walls new piston rings, main bearings, various seals head gasket, head studs, possibly pistons if these ones don’t measure out correctly and so on.

Now onto the part where I learned so much more about my vehicles power plant!! In the process of tearing things apart I was just reading in the manual while I went along and something didn’t seem quite right with any of it so I did what most of us would do and I threw the manual across the garage and proceeded to gut the little bastard. I crawled underneath to release the clips from the exhaust so I could pull the head and saw plain as day 1.9 TD stamped on the block!!! With the help of this forum and a quick few searches I found out that this engine is an AAZ engine but didn’t have a turbo on it. Not sure what that means but from what I can tell it was a common swap. The not putting a turbo on it though has me a little perplexed though. So maybe slowly I will rebuild that engine, source out a turbo, intake, exhaust manifolds and put it back in. Idk... dreamin haha.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You may just be able to pull the oil pan and get to the bottom side of the rods and slip some new ones in with the engine in the bay. I did that on a 1.6 and it was painless to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that too but with the spare engines just sitting there it would be nice to just throw a fresh one in for now so it’s mobile and “build” the 1.9 for future fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have any idea what the main cap bolts and rod cap bolts need to be torqued to on that 1.9 aaz? Crank and rod needed machined. Any info would help. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts