Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 Jetta 1.6 turbo diesel Im planning to rebuild. I don't know much about VW but I want to know what I can add and do to add more power. Turn up the injection pump? Get more boost from the turbo? Port the heads/Gasket match? Exaust Systems? Injectors? Boring The block? Cams? Let me know everything I need to know

Thanks,
JettaKing

·
Registered
243 Posts
JettaKing, all depends on how much time and money you are willing to spend and how much power you really want to add. If you have unlimited time and money you could be looking at 180 hp in place of that current 90? You may find that doing a few things that don't cost a bundle will be good enough to make it more fun to drive.
Don't pour the coals to it as that is just a waste of diesel, it may look impressive but if you really think on it that is not the way to treat an engine or the air you will breathe later.

It isn't just about increasing the HP either. As you do that you need to tie things down better, like the head for one. Replacing those head bolts with studs is never a bad spend of dollars. It makes it easier to service it when you blow it up. Which happens.

So I doubt anyone here will provide you with a laundry list of modifications and ball park prices to do them. They might off support on any items you want to chase down. Say fueling or boost issues. Because there are few sideboards to you question it becomes too wide open to answer. I know you may see it differently, its a simple question. Until you try to answer it. The variables become overwhelming.

Think about a budget first, a goal of HP increase you might want and then ask the question with those parameters. Otherwise we will shake our heads and not answer.

Good luck framing the question.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts