Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2000 VW Passat 2.8L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and looking for some insight as to what is possibly going on with my car. Here's a little background about my vehicle.
Back in may of 2020, I purchased a 2000 VW Passat with the 2.8L Audi engine in it. This vehicle came from a silver spoon fed child. They said their daughter used to drive the car to work, school and home. And one morning it didn't want to start at all. So it got parked and sat for a little over 4 years with not even a mechanic looking at it. It cost me about 50 bucks for a battery and fuel pump. Which the fuel pump was the issue for why it didn't want to start.(the harness for the pump was fried all the way down into the tank) The Passat fired right up with the new fuel pump and battery. I bought the car for $400, which was a steal I think. Still have to work out all the little bugs from it sitting for so long not running. The car runs awesome and has a speed demon in her for sure.
Main issue going on right now is she keeps over heating and I can't figure out why. I've done some process of elimination already. Replaced the coolant reservoir and cap, flushed the radiator, checked the coolant hoses, pulled the thermostat housing and thermostat. Kept the thermostat out of the housing in case it was stuck shut. Had to bypass the heater core (it literally blew up on me, steam everywhere inside the car). But still it over heats within 30 min after starting or driving it. I cant figure out for the life of me why it keeps overheating. Any help, advice or insight to this issue would make me so happy. I want to be able to turn her into my race car grocery getter.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts