Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this problem 3 times now. Once a month ago and twice today.
So I've realized a bit of a thing. This has been hard to Google search due to the faults VW's had with their front assist.
The three times it's happened two have been cruising. One at 100kmh and one at about 30kmh. Then the other time today under acceleration at about 40kmh.
The front end either side seems to lock up briefly. Today the front ride side screeched. And at 100kmh it seems like it could be quite a dangerous problem. It's only a brief lock of the brakes then it's good to go again. But the abs light comes on. Then the next time I turn the car on the light is no longer on.

If anyone can shed a light on this problem I'd be super appreciative.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had this problem 3 times now. Once a month ago and twice today.
So I've realized a bit of a thing. This has been hard to Google search due to the faults VW's had with their front assist.
The three times it's happened two have been cruising. One at 100kmh and one at about 30kmh. Then the other time today under acceleration at about 40kmh.
The front end either side seems to lock up briefly. Today the front ride side screeched. And at 100kmh it seems like it could be quite a dangerous problem. It's only a brief lock of the brakes then it's good to go again. But the abs light comes on. Then the next time I turn the car on the light is no longer on.

If anyone can shed a light on this problem I'd be super appreciative.
I had this problem with an '08 Mercedes ML350: would suddenly slam on some combination of brakes! Usually both rears but NOT the fronts! Was accompanied by a "Stability Control Not Operating" warning light, which would then clear and the vehicle would be fine for another few hundred miles before doing it again! After the third event, I limped into my indie Mercedes mech., waiting for the brakes to lock up at any moment!!

Fortunately never happened to me above 30 mph or so, but I think it could have and that was very frightening to me. Diagnosis was assisted by the fact, when we looked at the error codes, there were MULTIPLE wheel speed sensor faults. Way more than the number of times the automatic braking happened. out They were all for the RF wheel speed sensor and replacement cured the problem. It recurred about 3 months later and the codes pointed to the other front (LF) wheel speed sensor. Replacement cured the problem for 4-5 months and then it happened again, once! Hooking up the analyzer showed one of the two rear wheel speed sensor sending codes, but we replace them both. Problem solved! Just before this, the steering angle sensor (in the steering column) had gone out, which put the car into some kind of "limp home" mode where it would only go 30 mph. max!! All of this occurred right around 95k--100k vehicle miles! That's just one possibility, I'm sure, but sensors do seem to be a weak point on a lot of vehicles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts