Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Passat 2.0 TDI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have kind of a weird issue, or at least it seems weird to me. This is a 2005, front wheel drive with the 2.0L. Just bought it a little over a year ago and have had no issues with it to date. I had the low fuel light come on the other day, pulled into the gas station and the fuel switch would not open up the fuel door. I just went home to mess with it there. Pulled into my driveway (maybe drove 5 miles since fuel light came on) and shut it down.

The next day I go to start and the engine was cold so it coughed but didn't start. Since then it just cranks and will not start. The temps are cold here, down in the teens during the day so I plugged the block in, I have a circulator pump that keeps it nice and toasty, and still wouldn't start after a day of being plugged in.

I added 5 gallon of fresh gas and some deisel 911 in case there was some water, or maybe a frozen line and I got it into the garage. Vehicle was warm this morning and still a crank but no start.

A couple of factors I am not sure of, is my driveway is a slight hill. I was parked with the engine uphill, so maybe the fuel line got some air in it?

I am a new diesel owner and have not worked on these before. Just looking for any tips on where the best place to start first would be given the circumstances.

Thanks in advance,

Tanner

·
Registered
2005 Passat 2.0 TDI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well to update the crowd here. I ended up getting the car up into my garage and let it warm up overnight. Still cranks, but no start. Sounds like fuel pump is coming on. No lights or codes. Ended up changing the fuel filter, which was easier than any other vehicle I've ever done. Used a siphon pump to pull fuel up from the tank and there was some air in the line. Ran into issues with the pump not being able to pull fuel. Tried the fuel pump with the ignition key and it was working just fine. Primed the filter and line and it started right up.

I am new to the diesel world, so after doing this I cranked it for 5 seconds and it wouldn't fire. I talked to a friend who said I would have to crank it for a while for it to turn over after losing fuel pressure. Cranked it for about 15 seconds and it turned over and started. Ran it for about 20 minutes and shut it down. Started it up again and the second start was a little richer sounding than normal, but still started just fine. All starts since then have been nice and clean with no issues.

I also did an oil change and spoke with a guy at Napa who told me this 2005 has fuel injectors that run off a cam I believe, which makes it really important to run the right oil. The oil it came with was for some VW but was not the right spec, so I went with the Liqui Moly 15w40. I was going to buy the mobil delvac which it seems like a lot of people run. Probably 6 to 1 / half a dozen to the other.

Only other issue I need to look into is an airbag fault light, but ill start another thread if I run into issues on that one.
-Tanner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts