Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Polo S 64 1.2 petrol with a 3 cylinder engine... since December the engine warning light intermittently flashes either when the engine is idling or when I've been driving for 10-15 minutes. When idling, it has misfired on 2 occasions, but turning the car on and off again solves the problem. I tend to turn the engine off at traffic lights now. When driving, revving the engine hard stops the light flashing! Mostly, the above 2 solutions make the light go away, if it stays on, it goes off again after a couple of days. My local garage has had a look and couldn't find a problem even when they ran a diagnostic. From reading reviews from other Polo owners, this seems to be a common problem but no-one seems to be able to put their finger on what the problem is! I'd like to sell it, but not sure how to do that other than selling it as spares or repairs, but even then, I've no idea of value. Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Blinking CEL usually means misfires; Coil packs, plugs or injectors.

Solid CEL is an emissions control device.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blinking CEL usually means misfires; Coil packs, plugs or injectors.

Solid CEL is an emissions control device.
Thanks for the reply. The garage tried a new coil pack and put new spark plugs in but didn't solve it.

Do you happen to know whether the light flashing and being solid at different times intermittently might point to an electrical fault rather than an actual fault with the engine i.e. is the car just thinking it's got a problem when actually it hasn't?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
YOu need to read the PXXX codes then.

SOLID is emissions related, blinking is misfires. There will be codes
stored. Most faults are electrical, an engine fault would be valve,
pistons, low compression; something mechanical. I would move on
to injectors next for the misfires; cam or crank sensor (also electrical).
Without the P'code(s) we'll be guessing all day...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks. Think it's just going to be sold as spares or repairs as my local garage couldn't come up with anything and I don't want to pay out for work... : (

1 - 5 of 5 Posts