Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horn stopped working two days ago. Any idea why all of a sudden. I do hear a clicking when pressing​ the horn in? What fuse maybe. All diagrams online are not the same as mine. My alarm horn does not work either. One day it came back very faint now not at all. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,419 Posts
Clicking when pressing the horn button means that you have the horn relay is working.

Usually VW ties one side of the Horn to Power and switches ground via the relay. Check the horn fuse first.
Then suspect the horns as being bad, or that you have an issue on the power side of the horn (corrosion of terminals and the like.)

You should have 2 wires running to the horn, One is power, and one is switched ground.
With a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) with the key on you should see 12V on one of the wires (usually not a Brown wire).
Take a short length of wire and connect it to the none 12v side, then to a good ground, if the horn honks, then you have a issue with the ground path.
If the horn doesn't honk, or if you don't have 12Vpositive, then your issue is on the power side.

If your Horn doesn't honk and you have 12V on one side and you have shorted the other, then your horn is bad.

Horns get filled up with water if the thing isn't seated with the horns pointing to the front and down, this water acts like a "P" trap and basically ruins the things in short order. VW didn't waste monies on a separate alarm horn, it uses the same one.... so if your factory alarm isn't working as well as the horn buttons, then you have but one issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clicking when pressing the horn button means that you have the horn relay is working.

Usually VW ties one side of the Horn to Power and switches ground via the relay. Check the horn fuse first.
Then suspect the horns as being bad, or that you have an issue on the power side of the horn (corrosion of terminals and the like.)

You should have 2 wires running to the horn, One is power, and one is switched ground.
With a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) with the key on you should see 12V on one of the wires (usually not a Brown wire).
Take a short length of wire and connect it to the none 12v side, then to a good ground, if the horn honks, then you have a issue with the ground path.
If the horn doesn't honk, or if you don't have 12Vpositive, then your issue is on the power side.

If your Horn doesn't honk and you have 12V on one side and you have shorted the other, then your horn is bad.

Horns get filled up with water if the thing isn't seated with the horns pointing to the front and down, this water acts like a "P" trap and basically ruins the things in short order. VW didn't waste monies on a separate alarm horn, it uses the same one.... so if your factory alarm isn't working as well as the horn buttons, then you have but one issue.
This is golden info man. I will try all of these and let you know. Thank you for your time and writing this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I opened the right side up and looked at the horn and after investigating there was alot of sludge under my car everywhere. I went to a car wash the other day and it seems the undercarrage wash messed up the horn. I will be ordering a replacement. I always wash my car myself and the one time I go get it washed they **** it up. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts