Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was topping off the windshield wiper fluid in my new (to me) 2013 Passat 2.5 and I thought I would check out the dipstick and make sure that the oil was at proper level. It had service at the dealer (early 10K service at 9800 miles, including oil change) but I felt compelled to check. Imagine my horror when I saw white sticky snot-like goo all along the dipstick. While I am new to VWs, I am no stranger to cars, so my heart sank and I immediately thought that there is coolant mixing with the oil. The car is under warranty so I contacted the dealership and will set up an appointment, but it raised a few questions in my mind:

1. Does the red G12 type coolant have a different chemistry (i.e., not mostly ethylene glycol) such that it would not make the classic snot when it mixes with oil? (wishful thinking, I know, but I don't know much about G12 coolant)

2. It seems odd to me that a seal or gasket would fail in such a new car with so little miles (car was a dealer's loaner car with 9800 miles when I bought it), are there specific issues with the 2.5L I5 that make it susceptible to this kind of failure, or do I just have bad luck?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
We're Geekin'
8,488 Posts
Is it a milky color? Do you take a lot of short trips? Water can accumulate in the crankcase/dip stick/top of oil cap if the car has a lot of short trips as the water produced during combustion isn't fully removed because the engine doesn't get hot enough due to short trips. Take a long highway drive and check it again.

Reactions: jdub_2000

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DUSlider-

Thanks for the response. Is indeed milky and I have been taking short trips (grocery store, short commute to work) latley and it has been very cold this week as well. I spoke with the technician at the dealership and he said the same thing: condensation caused by low oil temperature. He was nice enough about that and he pressure tested the coolant system just to be absolutely sure everythign was working properly-- no issues were found.

I'll give it a good drive and take another look.

Thanks again for the informative response.

-jdub

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to give an update on my original thread. As DUSlider suggested, the culprit was condensation which causes a white film that can collect at the dipstick and oil filler cap. The mechanics description on the maintenance report reads:

" Performed visual inspection of oil level and condition. Oil level OK. Oil condition OK. Was able to detect a small amount of white oil. This is caused by condensation in the crank case due to oil/crank case temps not reaching operating temp for any extended periods of time. Thus any normally occurring condensation inside the crank case does not get evaporated and mixes with the oil (creates white film substance) in different locations of the motor, often times most noticeable on oil fill cap or dip stick. This is considered normal operation. "​

Everything is fine, just a little healthy paranoia on my part (and working on too many Oldsmobiles in my high school days) made me overreact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts