Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All-

I wanted to let people know about an issue that I discovered today that might (hopefully not) affect other B7 owners.

This morning I started my car, and after driving less than 100 feet I began to hear a horrible, rhythmic crunching noise that seemed to get louder and louder. I stopped and turned off the engine immediately and popped the hood. The first thing I noticed was that the air intake inlet cover was missing. I then noticed some black plastic shavings on the engine cover and saw that the cover was trapped inside the driver's side cooling fan.

Needless to say, I removed the cover from the fan, thankfully it was loosely resting between two blades. The fan blades did not appear to be damaged in any way, but the cover was fairly well shredded (see pics below).

Bumper Automotive exterior Fender Auto part
Bumper Vehicle

As you can see there are some pretty deep gashes that pierce all the way through. The inlet cover must have hitched a ride around the axis of the cooling fan after lodging itself in between those two blades and then got ripped up.

I was able to get a replacement for about $20.00 w/ shipping and handling from a regional VW OEM parts distributor online at http://karenradleyvwparts.com/ .

I am running the car without the inlet cover and did a few tests at idle and at speed to make sure it wasn't overheating due to loss of air flow. In truth the intake noise sounds kind of cool now :)

Its a bit of a mystery since I never replaced the air filter (12k miles on it thus far, so no need), nor have I fiddled with that part of the intake. I probably dodged a bullet in terms of the cooling fan, it could have been much worse. I wanted to let people know and see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update-

The part (VW 805965C9B9) came in last night and after some fiddling it is securely in place. I learned that the right/driver's side tab has to be bent outward before you push the cover down into place, if you don't do this the cover looks like it is in place, but pops off at the slightest touch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts