Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is the start of winter, it is now -18C and snowing.......I poped the hood and went looking for the block heater plug-in and can't find it.....anyone know where it would be located? I double checked the spec sheet from the purchase and it says there is one!
Help!

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
It is the start of winter, it is now -18C and snowing.......I poped the hood and went looking for the block heater plug-in and can't find it.....anyone know where it would be located? I double checked the spec sheet from the purchase and it says there is one!
Help!
Usually it's by the fog lamp grill. What does the owners manual say under engine block heater?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I did not find it.......I went into the dealership and they tell me they do not make the Tiguan with a block heater, nor do I need one! Not so sure myself. I have lived in the north all my life and have never even thought of not warming the block and the oil pan! I was told that with the new synthetic oil (running a 5w50) and the coolent good to -80c that it isn't necessary.
I have been thinking on it still, but may install an after market stick on type oil pan heater. Prince George is still only in the minus teens and I haven't had to try their theory out yet! Still skeptical!
Good luck to you in Edmonton, it is much the same climate as here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, it has now reached the -30c and below level here! My tiguan does NOT start well, it takes several tries and then it sounds like a diesel tank for the first 10 minutes! I am pretty sure this is hard on the engine!
I am very disappointed that VW does not make the tiguan with at least an oil pan heater or block heater from the factory. Now I will have to have one installed after market as I can't start my car in these cold temperatures! :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts