Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

2015 2.0L TDI Passat Oil Change Instructions
Materials Required

• Oil Filter (OEM) part number: 03N115562 (should have large and small O’ring)
  • Oil- 6 quarts Castrol Full Synthetic Edge Professional 5W-30 (LL03)
  • New oil pan drain plug with washer.
  • 2.5 gal of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) also known as Adblue
  • O’ring lubricant for top engine cover (if removed)
Tools Required

• Lower engine splash guard- front (single) and all side fasteners- T25. 3 rear fasteners- T-45.
  • Oil pan drain plug- 19mm socket
  • Oil filter drain plug- 13mm socket
  • Oil filter cover- 32mm socket
  • Cable clamp that runs under oil filter cover- Flat head screwdriver
  • Zip tie that holds cable that runs under oil filter cover- Diagonal wire cutters
Torque Values

• Oil pan drain plug- 30Nm
  • Oil filter drain plug- 5Nm
  • Oil filter cap- 25Nm
Procedures
Jacking vehicle

• Place floor jack on frame support where front wheel suspension arm meets frame, at large “C” shaped tube weld (see picture 1).

• Place Jack Stands under vehicle at Jack Points (triangle on rocker panel) on frame plate that protrudes down vertically (see picture 2).

Remove Lower Splash Guard
  • Use T25 tip for single fastener in the front, and all the side fasteners.
  • Use T45 tip for 3 rear fasteners.

Drain Oil
  • Remove oil pan drain plug using 19mm socket.
  • Drain oil.
  • Reinstall NEW oil drain plug and washer. Torque to 30Nm.

Oil Filter **Note** Oil Filter is now located on the bottom of engine.

• Open clamp that holds electrical cable that runs under oil filter cap using a strait slot screwdriver. Clamp ratchets closed. If you pry up on the upper ratchet tooth (see picture 3), the clamp will swing open, allowing cable to be removed from clamp (see picture 4).

• Using diagonal cutters, cut zip tie holding cable.
  • Carefully, pull cable towards engine, back towards rear, away from oil filter cap. Be careful not to damage 3 wires going to sensor under filter.
  • Using 13mm socket, remove oil filter cap drain plug (see picture 5). A clicking noise is normal.
  • Drain oil from cap.
  • Using 32mm socket, remove oil filter cap.
  • Pull old filter from filter housing.
  • Install new filter into filter housing. It can only go in one way.
  • Replace the O’ring on the filter cap drain plug, and the O’ring on the filter cap.
  • Lubricate with oil.
  • Reinsert oil filter cap drain plug. Torque to 5Nm.
  • Reinstall oil filter cap over filter and filter housing. Torque to 25Nm.
  • Carefully, place electrical cable back into clamp, and squeeze closed (should click several times).
  • Reinstall new zip tie where old tie was removed (see figure 5). Cut off excess zip tie.

Reinstall Splash pan

• Slide front of pan back into mount point, ensuring all tabs are aligned correctly (flats up, triangles down). Reinstall 3 rear Fasteners using T45 tip. Snug to about 20Nm.
  • Reinstall front fastener and all side fasteners using T25 tip. Tighten to just snug (about 3Nm).

Lower vehicle from jack stands.

• Both sides of vehicle can be lowed at once with floor jack by placing pad with 2x4 over welded circle in center of cross brace. It can’t be lifted this way as there’s no clearance for handle movement.

Fill Engine Oil
  • Add 6 qts of 5W-30, full synthetic oil.
***Note*** -Owner’s manual states that 2.0L TDI engine holds 4.5 qts of oil. This is incorrect.

• Replace engine oil fill cap.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid
  • Open trunk. On right side, behind storage bin, pop cover off DEF tank filler.
  • Fill DEF tank. It will probably hold all 2.5 gallons of fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI- according to the AutoZone's computer system, at least at the time of this posting, this motor/car combo doesn't exist. They can however, order the correct filter if you give them the OEM part number.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you Dr. V! I will change my oil for the first time shortly. I took an 85 Golf to 375K and I have an 04 Jetta with 241K (and a 97 Suburban with 309K but my daughter was driving it, coolant hose blew - and she kept driving). Hoping my Passat lasts until I have go to the nursing home!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
My former '13 TDI (242,000+ miles) has never had the oil drain plug removed. I did all my
oil changes top side with a pneumatic pump; and I plan on doing the same with the new TSI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks again Dr. V! Very helpful to have these instructions sitting on my laptop screen in the garage while I changed the oil!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks very much.

I bought some ramps at Harbor Freight with a discount coupon that makes this job real quick and easy.

I find the dealer is the cheapest to buy the Castrol Full Synthetic Edge Professional 5W-30 (LL03) and a new drain plug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All went well with my first 2 oil changes but cracked my oil filter cap on my 3rd oil change do to over tightening. Luckily I found some info online about getting the old cap off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts