Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, So I am thinking of replacing my tdi jetta sportwagen with a 2017 alltrack. I would be getting manual so thats why I would get the 2017 model. I read that they were not rated for towing, but could I put an aftermarket hitch on and tow my boat? The boat with the trailer weighs less than 1000lbs, but it is pretty long at 18ft. So what do you guys think? Would towing destroy the clutch too? or is the clutch pretty good stock? thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
This actually got me thinking, I haven't seen a tow hitch on one. I believe you can only use tie downs and it isn't rated.

Unless you jump through hoops and find one in a random part of the country, they are all sold. There won't be any more manuals until the 2018's come out.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
As with the TDI, or any VW with a DSG in Europe, their manuals have a towing
capacity listed. The same USA model will tell you towing is not permitted.

The Jetta Sportwagen had a 2000lb towing capacity.

The Alltrack is based on the GOLF MQB platform, and max Payload specs says 1012 lbs.

The only hitch available for the alltrack is a Class I, which is rated at 2000lbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2013 Passat Alltrack DSG (auto) 2.0 liter and I pull a horse trailer with one horse in it regularly, total about 1600kg. It pulls very well including a very steep hill in my regular journey. I wouldn't go back to a manual shift.. Book towing limit is 2000Kg.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You do realize that 2000Kg is 4409lb, right? If you are towing that with
a DSG, you are brave indeed. You said you pull 1600Kg, that is 3527lb.
I'd never tow with a DSG, the clutches aren't beefy enough for it, and
there are only two clutches in one clutch pack. The DSG may be
an auto, but it is a manual gearbox, shifted automatically. One clutch
for even gears, the other for odd gears.

I did see the book towing limit says 2000Kg, that's a LOT of weight for
a DSG to tow. I would never tow with a DSG due to how they work,
and with one input shaft being hollow (the other spins inside it). Glad
it does work for you, I wouldn't be doing it. I never towed with my
2013, and got 243,500+ miles out of it, all original drive-train parts
and belts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, I hear you, but I did check with my nearest VAG dealership about towing before buying and they told me they had had no issues with the DSG gearbox due to towing. Why would VW give a 2000Kg rating if the car wasn't suitable for towing? You having no problems for so long without towing is rather irrelevant.. As is converting kilograms to pounds, though I appreciate you can relate to pounds easier than to kilograms.. However, I may cut out going up the steep hill as we can return from the horse meet in a flatter direction. We only make the trip about 4 to 6 times a year. If I come across a failure due to towing, I'll post it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
VW gives you that towing rate, but here in the USA, it says towing not permitted,
with DSG transmissions. I had a '13 TDI with a DSG, and the book actually says
towing not permitted. Everywhere else in the world, gets a tow rating, I just
find that odd.

Not sure if any of them with a DSG here in the usa now have a tow rating,
but my '13 TDI user manual didn't. I read that the hollow input shaft
cracks when toeing too mush weight with a DSG. So, I think the USA
they just eliminated it. VW has made claims that it overheats, and
once it hits a certain temp, engine output is reduced, then of the temps
go higher, the clutches will not engage.

I believe also, this not towing is specific to the 02E DSG...

Some say that the warranty will be void if you tow, with the DSG, yet
Europe get generous towing capacities.

Here is a page out of the same user manual, and look what it says for
CJAA with the DSG, "This vehicle cannot be used to tow a trailer."

Europe and other countries, don't have that...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I made an earlier post which hasn't appeared yet. I've written to VW asking them to clarify the situation, which is confusing. Should get a reply within 2 days. My Passat is the 130k/W model. Just bought a 3 month old Polo, which you don't get in the US.. A 1.2 TSI, DSG. A great runabout, like a smaller Golf. The new model Polo is a little bigger than the Mk4 Golf (Rabbit?) of the early 90's. How about this? New Polo..

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
VW UK Customer Services called me yesterday about the towing capacity of my Alltrack. They told me that comparing what appear to be the same models in different continents isn't valid as components and specifications will differ, as well as environmental aspects, such as what temperatures and road conditions the cars will encounter in use. I was told that their technical dept. had said there was no problem towing with my car as long as I observed the limitations stated in the owner's manual - no more than 2,000Kg and no more than 12% gradient. I can see that towing in, say, Texas is a different ballgame to towing here, even if the cars were identical, which they are not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts