Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya, I just joined this forum hoping to find out if my terrible MP3 is normal.

I just bought a 2017 Tiguan with 11k miles on it. It looks & drives like a brand new car but after 3 fuel-ups I'm only getting 15.5 MPG. Now, I realize it's how you drive and I am coming from a Fiesta ST that I admittedly drove fairly hard, but I'm driving this Tiguan very lightly. I'm practically making other drivers angry because of my purposely slow acceleration. I'm going to check my tire PSI tomorrow, but they look to be properly inflated. Any known issues that would affect MPG?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heya, I just joined this forum hoping to find out if my terrible MP3 is normal.

I just bought a 2017 Tiguan with 11k miles on it. It looks & drives like a brand new car but after 3 fuel-ups I'm only getting 15.5 MPG. Now, I realize it's how you drive and I am coming from a Fiesta ST that I admittedly drove fairly hard, but I'm driving this Tiguan very lightly. I'm practically making other drivers angry because of my purposely slow acceleration. I'm going to check my tire PSI tomorrow, but they look to be properly inflated. Any known issues that would affect MPG?
Put a VAG scanner on it and see if there are any stored codes. Also put the scanner in the live data mode and see what your engine temperature is running from start up cold to operating on highway. Would check that the system is not thinking your engine is cold always, would be running rich if that were the case and that could be a stuck open thermostat or bad sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What fuel are you using? The Tiguan runs best on 91 octane with NO Ethanol. You will find this a Kwik Trip Stations and several others. If you are using regular gas with ethanol that could be a big share of your problem. The 2.0 is a high compression engine and if you use regular the heat of the combustion chamber and the compression will cause the fuel to ignite and cause pinging. Pinging is when the fuel mixture is ignited before the piston reaches top dead center and will try to force the piston down as it still is in upward travel. The engine detects the pinging and will adjust for it with significant loss of power, performance and mileage. ALWAYS use premium without ethanol and you may see you problem go away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts