Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - question for connaisseurs here. Bought a CPO 2018 Tiguan premium in April 2019. I began hearing at speed above 50 mph a road noise comparable to a washer dryer on a spin cycle. Not sure exactly when that started. Went to the dealer earlier this year and they noticed allTires were cupped despite not being old and recommended new tires and alignement of the car for a total of $1500, not covered by warranty,

1) they think the car not being properly aligned caused the cupping. My steering Column is not shaking or vibrating or anything , is alignment really the main cause for the cupped tires and the washer spin cycle noise I’m hearing?

2) Because the car is the SEL Premium trim with all the sensors, I was told by the vw dealer only they can do the alignement because it requires sensor recalibration, special equipment and takes 4-5h? Is this for real or am I getting scammed? Alignment at Car shops are around $100 or so. Will it mess up the car sensors if I do the alignment At Midas for instance?

Appreciate any insight you may have, thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get a second opinion. Depending on how the tires are wearing, you can have loose parts, wrong toe settings. Find a reputable alignment shop to check it out. Ask around who that can be and go for it. All VW dealers are customer oriented. Money, not service is their reason for being. Don't take their suggestions, especially a five hour alignment check costing 1500 dollars. That's nonsense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone - question for connaisseurs here. Bought a CPO 2018 Tiguan premium in April 2019. I began hearing at speed above 50 mph a road noise comparable to a washer dryer on a spin cycle. Not sure exactly when that started. Went to the dealer earlier this year and they noticed allTires were cupped despite not being old and recommended new tires and alignement of the car for a total of $1500, not covered by warranty,

1) they think the car not being properly aligned caused the cupping. My steering Column is not shaking or vibrating or anything , is alignment really the main cause for the cupped tires and the washer spin cycle noise I’m hearing?

2) Because the car is the SEL Premium trim with all the sensors, I was told by the vw dealer only they can do the alignement because it requires sensor recalibration, special equipment and takes 4-5h? Is this for real or am I getting scammed? Alignment at Car shops are around $100 or so. Will it mess up the car sensors if I do the alignment At Midas for instance?

Appreciate any insight you may have, thanks!
Hello!
Did you ever get a resolution to the tire cupping issue? I’m having a similar issue on my 2020 Tiguan with 21,000 miles on it. Vibration/Road noise started around 15,000. First two trips to dealer were useless as they said nothing was wrong. Finally on third visit, they said tires were cupped because of bad alignment, and said I need new tires and alignment to fix the problem. Wondering if that will really fix the issue. Did it work for you? Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts