Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend replaced the battery on her 2018 Tiguan SEL today (it’s been dead for about 2 months and the vehicle hasn’t driven) and after replacing it, it’s having quite a few issues.
She says she installed the battery correctly and didn’t short anything out (but that’s unlikely due to all of the issues she’s having). The car starts fine but a bunch of errors pop up after start.

The errors are as follows:
1.Error: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (I think it probably just needs to be reset).
2. Error: Transmission in Emergency Mode. You can continue driving.
3. Error: Electronic Stabilization Control (ESC).
4. Error: Hill Start Assist
5. Front Assist Not Available

Also, there is no power steering.

The front wipers didn’t work either but I found that to be a blown fuse when I took a peek under the hood.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be the culprit? Is there any one system that controls all of this?
Thanks!

· Registered
2 Posts
thats normal the system is confused and needs a re boot. Turn the car on and just spin the steering wheel all the way left and hold for a sec , and spin back to the right all the way and hold for a sec. Repeat this for about 3 to 4 times , and all error lights should clear if u have a obd11 u can also clear and check other faults.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried the steering wheel reset and it hasn’t worked. Still have no power steering and the other faults are there as well. Also, this morning I turned the car on and now I’m getting a 12V Battery Not Charging warning.

· Registered
2 Posts
I believe the Tiguan's engine management system needs to know the age/type/rating of the battery to better manage the charging. Its like a three digit code which is related to the battery model/manufacturer. Hence why VW recommend specific batteries. It might pay to visit your local VW service centre and get them to check. ...just a thought.

· Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2009 Mercedes C220cdi (W204) that from time to time goes into a similar mode. Diagnosed as a bad earth, still to be found. Fortunately, it seems to self cure after a while, normally after going over a bump.

Recheck your cable connections giving particular attention to the earth cable, perhaps clean out the terminal connection out with a wire brush..

· Registered
2 Posts
I believe the Tiguan's engine management system needs to know the age/type/rating of the battery to better manage the charging. Its like a three digit code which is related to the battery model/manufacturer. Hence why VW recommend specific batteries. It might pay to visit your local VW service centre and get them to check. ...just a thought.
That is correct its a black sticker with Bim number stating the make model of battery and crank amp. how ever you have a 36k or 32k miles warranty on battery

1 - 7 of 7 Posts