Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

I'm new to the forum and a happy owner of a new 2018 Tiguan SE w/3rd row. I'm in Boston, MA, USA. Anyone have advice on getting a 2 inch trailer hitch installed? The dealer tells me they can't do it. I'm wary of U-Haul as the ones I've seen don't have a clean look when installed. Anyone have a good experience to share?

By the way, I don't need any wiring -- this is just to put a 4 position Yakima bike rake on.

Thanks!

Lyle

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 and hitch installation was done at the dealer - only because I didn't want to mess with the wiring. Maybe you can check the Reese and Curt websites for availability. The hitch on the 2012 is mounted using 4 bolts, no need for modifications as the car comes with nuts for it - you can check by looking under the rear bumper

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed a Curt on my 18 Tiguan R line, the only issue I had was when I removed the factory bolts they are also holding the rear bumber frame section so the inside threads move around. So you just need to get the bolts on while moving the rear bumper frame around. Other than that it went pretty smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey everybody, quick update:
I purchased a Curt 2" Class 3 hitch that is made for the 2018 Tiguan and requires no body mods to install, just the typical drop of the exhaust. I had it installed at Rack Attack in Framingham, MA and am very happy with the install. Thanks for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts