Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone -

I was wondering if anyone has also had issues with the overhead console coming detached from the roof? If so, I am assuming something like this would be covered from by the manufacturer's warranty?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the exact same issues (2020 Tiguan). Last month I got in and found my overhead console about the same condition. I taped it with Duct tape and brought into dealer. Along with this, GPS, microphone stopped working for phone and apple play. I brought it back to dealer (4) times when they finally got the console back on and gps/microphone working. Had it back for approx. 5 days and it stopped working again. Console still attached. Very frustrating. Another (2) weeks before I can bring it back. Not sure if I would buy VW again...

·
Registered
2 Posts
YEP! Purchased a 2020 Tiguan in May 2020. By July it had completely fallen down. Force your local VW dealership to replace it for you and start a claim with VW corporate to have it guaranteed for the life of the vehicle. It was a looooonnnngggg ordeal, dealt with liars and terrible service but finally got the console replaced in Dec 2020. By Feb 2021 I noticed I had a leak and VW needed to replace my entire headliner. Now, by July 2021, the replaced console has broken again. I think it was made of cheap plastic or overtightened because the plastic is broken off around the screws.
Sad because my sister in law purchased a 2020 Tiguan in July 2020 after liking mine. Her console fell and broke April 2021.

·
Registered
2020 SEL Tiguan R-line
1 Posts
Hey everyone -

I was wondering if anyone has also had issues with the overhead console coming detached from the roof? If so, I am assuming something like this would be covered from by the manufacturer's warranty? View attachment 45596
Um, yeah.
I just got home from the dealership where they explained to me how clear it was that this was not a defective part because it was broken and not degraded. They claim that VW will not cover this item under a warranty, which may be accurate. I asked that as a VW dealership they do the right thing even if corporate does not. They said no.
I made an appointment at another dealership, and all parts are now in a bag in my front seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, same here. Just left the dealership, they sent pics to VW who said this was caused by vandalism and refused to warranty this issue on our 2020 Tiguan with 26k miles. The vehicle was sitting in our driveway, locked with the alarm activated when the issue occurred. No markings on the console to suggest it had been vandalized, no alarm and nothing in the vehicle was disturbed including a firearm in the center console. I suppose some "very proficient" vandal simply desired to rip the console from the roof.

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the exact same issues (2020 Tiguan). Last month I got in and found my overhead console about the same condition. I taped it with Duct tape and brought into dealer. Along with this, GPS, microphone stopped working for phone and apple play. I brought it back to dealer (4) times when they finally got the console back on and gps/microphone working. Had it back for approx. 5 days and it stopped working again. Console still attached. Very frustrating. Another (2) weeks before I can bring it back. Not sure if I would buy VW again...
2020 Tiguan with 8k mikes here.

I found my console hanging down when I got into my car after work a couple months ago. My local dealer knew what I was talking about before I even finished my sentence explaining what the problem was.

They said this is super common and they replaced it under warranty with no hassle. Yesterday I got into the car after work and found it broken again, the part that covers the top of the rear view mirror is loosey goosey, the tabs it screws onto are broken off.

Stopped at the dealer and this time it'll be two weeks for the part. Luckily my dealer is great and easy to deal with but wtf kind of design is this that it breaks so easily?? I had a 2018 Tiguan, which I gave to my daughter and we've never had these issues with that car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is exactly the same. Less than 5k on car when the console fell down and dealer said that it was broken through excessive force. Temporary fixed over 3 days and fell down again after 10. Back in dealer today for another temporary fix and waiting on clips from Germany. Not covered under warranty.
That is terrible not covered under warranty, I would ask alot of questions why? I was very frustrated bringing back multiple times, but so far so good.
Good Luck !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is exactly the same. Less than 5k on car when the console fell down and dealer said that it was broken through excessive force. Temporary fixed over 3 days and fell down again after 10. Back in dealer today for another temporary fix and waiting on clips from Germany. Not covered under warranty.
Oh hell no you need to take it up the chain. It should absolutely be covered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing has happened to mine. My car is only six months old and I noticed that the front of the console was hanging low. The very next day I opened the car door to find the whole thing had collapsed and was just hanging there. I took it to VW today who claimed it’s due to excessive force and they won’t put it under warranty. It’s very unfair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone -

I was wondering if anyone has also had issues with the overhead console coming detached from the roof? If so, I am assuming something like this would be covered from by the manufacturer's warranty? View attachment 45596
2020 Tiguan SE with 13k miles

I found my console hanging down when I got into my car early in the morning. I took the car to the dealer and they said they had seen the same problem before, to leave the car for 1 to 2 hours but since it was friday and I had several things to do I decided to return on monday.

The following monday I returned to the dealer and they told me they'd take care of it. I thought I would wait for at least an hour but, 20 minutes later my car was ready.

The upper console looks like it did when I got the car. Every was done under warranty at no charge.

GUNTHER VW - Delray Beach, FL - Great dealer.
Font Material property Parallel Paper Document
Car Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive design
Hood Motor vehicle Office equipment Automotive design Computer hardware
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Mode of transport

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue. The plastic piece sheared off around the screws. I’ve owned 4 other vw’s in the past and never had this issue before. The plastic piece is made of cheap material and is very flimsy, not to mention the weight of the switches and terminals contribute to the problem. It’s a design flaw in my opinion. I think this could have been solved by having a thicker plastic.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Trunk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. The plastic piece sheared off around the screws. I’ve owned 4 other vw’s in the past and never had this issue before. The plastic piece is made of cheap material and is very flimsy, not to mention the weight of the switches and terminals contribute to the problem. It’s a design flaw in my opinion. I think this could have been solved by having a thicker plastic.
View attachment 46858
passat911

As you can read on the invoice, the mounting hardware for the upper console was over-torque from factory. That tells me that the tools were not calibrated and tightened the screws too much. I think it would've broken any kind of plastic. What model year is your Tiguan? mine is a 2020 SE, if yours is not, then they have a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
passat911

As you can read on the invoice, the mounting hardware for the upper console was over-torque from factory. That tells me that the tools were not calibrated and tightened the screws too much. I think it would've broken any kind of plastic. What model year is your Tiguan? mine is a 2020 SE, if yours is not, then they have a problem.
I have a 2020 SEL. I brought it in for a sunroof drain leak a few months after getting the car. The entire headliner and rear carpet needed to be replaced. They F something up putting it back together. Funny thing is when I brought it back to the dealer for the overhead console they gave me the speech that “there is evidence of external tampering or force”, Im paraphrasing. When I told them that they were the last ones that worked on the car, they couldn’t say anything. My guess is like the other person on this thread the dealer tried to get out of covering it under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dropped mine off for the fourth overhead console replacement now. Came out to the parking lot last night and found it sagging. I think it's heat related in my case at least, it was 95 in my car when I got in and noticed it.

I asked them to give me the old part (which is only a few months old since it was just replaced yet again). They don't want to give you take off parts as they get reimbursed from the factory for warranty work when they turn them in. Regardless, I'm not dealing with this when this car is out of warranty. I know I can beef it up and engineer it better than the factory did. I'm so over this nonsense, this is my third and last VW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dropped mine off for the fourth overhead console replacement now. Came out to the parking lot last night and found it sagging. I think it's heat related in my case at least, it was 95 in my car when I got in and noticed it.

I asked them to give me the old part (which is only a few months old since it was just replaced yet again). They don't want to give you take off parts as they get reimbursed from the factory for warranty work when they turn them in. Regardless, I'm not dealing with this when this car is out of warranty. I know I can beef it up and engineer it better than the factory did. I'm so over this nonsense, this is my third and last VW.
This is so frustrating. I am going in tomorrow for my 2nd replacement. I live in a very hot area and my car is parked outdoors so I have suspected there might be a heat issue also. The even crappier part is that we don't currently have an extra car in my household so I have had to drive with the middle console dangling for the last week. Last time I was able to unhook all the harness pieces until I get it into the shop. This time I haven't been able to do so and I don't want to change any extra damage since we have an out of state trip next week so I really need a functioning overhead console! I am documenting my repairs and also have informed VW this is also a huge SAFETY issue with a dangling console.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is so frustrating. I am going in tomorrow for my 2nd replacement. I live in a very hot area and my car is parked outdoors so I have suspected there might be a heat issue also. The even crappier part is that we don't currently have an extra car in my household so I have had to drive with the middle console dangling for the last week. Last time I was able to unhook all the harness pieces until I get it into the shop. This time I haven't been able to do so and I don't want to change any extra damage since we have an out of state trip next week so I really need a functioning overhead console! I am documenting my repairs and also have informed VW this is also a huge SAFETY issue with a dangling console.
I secured mine overnight with a cloth face mask I had in the glovebox. I unhooked both visors and stretched it across, fit snug enough to hold it.

I'm at the dealership right now actually waiting for them to finish up. They just gave me the old part to take and three out of four screw holes are broken. I will figure out a way to make it a lot stronger.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,
Thanks for sharing this information, it made it easy to explain it to the dealer that it is a common problem. The panel on my car dropped yesterday while I parked on the curb for a few hours. I believe it is heat related and over tightened panel breaks when get hot. I called the dealership and made an appointment and hopefully don't have to take it back again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts