Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions about the Vw engines...

Vw's Vr6 3.2L (Great engine), but... the latest rev is putting out 250bhp. Ok... that is a little dissapointing in regards to Toyota's v6 in the Rav4, a 3.5L putting 269bhp and uses Regular fuel.

Now, this is my stab... Why can't VW develop something like the 3.5 that toyota has in put it in the Jetta, Tiguan, GTI, etc...

Not trying to start a flame war, I'm just curious about this....

Thanks!,

·
Registered
737 Posts
well, 3.2/250, 3.5/269, give vw an extra .3 litre and im sure they can make more HP with it?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
in my opinion too the R32 should have at least 300HP, since the Subaru STI has 300 with a 2.5L.
something that we can brag about it:(

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
in my opinion too the R32 should have at least 300HP, since the Subaru STI has 300 with a 2.5L.
something that we can brag about it:(
Naturally Aspirated you cant complain. When compared to a smaller turbocharged motor. But according to recent reports the R is going away in place of a GTI-R. So a tuned version of the 2.0T w/ more boost. Dont see why it would have a problem competing w/ the STI/WRX crowd.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My next quam about the R32....

It uses premium fuel.... I guess I don't understand.... What is that reguires the higher grade fuel? Last I knew that the 2008 Rendition of the R32 isn't a turbo'ed engine?.... Is it something in regards to the compresssion??

-
R36?

Will it actually be a reality for us here in the US? Probably not, my thoughts are because... We don't get the fun toys....

If we were, they would bring the Scirocco over????

Again, Not trying to start a flame war or anything... Just curious.

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
My next quam about the R32....

It uses premium fuel.... I guess I don't understand.... What is that reguires the higher grade fuel? Last I knew that the 2008 Rendition of the R32 isn't a turbo'ed engine?.... Is it something in regards to the compresssion??
If your going to spend 32k on a car that is a "Performance" model why would you complain about fuel?

I think its anything over 10.5:1 CR requires Premium fuel. The R32 is 10.85:1.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just curious as to why VW has a high compression engine like that in a "performance" car, dubed the r32, and also I think I understand why GTI's 2.0t uses premium is because of the turbo, right?

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
I was just curious as to why VW has a high compression engine like that in a "performance" car, dubed the r32, and also I think I understand why GTI's 2.0t uses premium is because of the turbo, right?
Sucking as much horsepower as they can out of the engine.

The GTI can actually use 89 octane @ the cost of reduced performance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats What I had heard about the GTI, now, my question is... how much difference in performance?? and also, question, probably dumb... But, how long is well enough let the turbo warm up before hoppin' on it?

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
What's the significance of the R in the R32 and the R36. See the number connection, but not the R.
VW's performance designator is .:R, just like Honda has the Type R and Chevy has the SS. There is also a .:R-GTI out - it doesn't have to do with the engine, just that it's the high end sports model.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok,

Now I am going to ask...

Is it worth Hanging on to my 2006 Rabbit, or getting a 2008 GTI? knowing that VW isn't sure of bringing a 2009 Rabbit to the USA.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am curious if those are just wrong labels...

Quoted from http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vortex_news/article_2395.shtml

"So what does this mean for the U.S? Well first, lets squash the rumors that the Golf VI isn't coming to the U.S. While anything can change with VW, the current plan is to sell both the Golf/Rabbit and the GTI six generation here in the U.S. However we won't see both cars here till September of 2009."

·
Topless Moderator
6,589 Posts
I am curious if those are just wrong labels...

Quoted from http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vortex_news/article_2395.shtml

"So what does this mean for the U.S? Well first, lets squash the rumors that the Golf VI isn't coming to the U.S. While anything can change with VW, the current plan is to sell both the Golf/Rabbit and the GTI six generation here in the U.S. However we won't see both cars here till September of 2009."
are you misinterpreting this?

the ones on the lot now are 2009 MK5s. that's saying the 2010 MK6 will be here in september of 2009.

i assure you, the window stickers are not wrong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess i miss-interpeted this...

From reading that post on vwvortex.com, I took that to be that the 2009 Rabbit won't be comming to the united states. But, I was wrong...

Ok, Back to my question...

Is it worth trading the Rabbit in for the GTI? or should I hang onto the rabbit??

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
The passat 3.6 VR6 makes 280 HP in the states, 300 in europe.

That will take out your competition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm sure the 3.6 is alot more of a "chunky" engine weight wise... What would be farkin' amazing is if they stuffed something like that under a 4 door GTI with the DSG and the 4motion system (NOT the R32), Give it a diet and weight reductions. I would pay through the nose for it... believe me... something like that in a Rabbit *US*, Golf *Euro*... would be just nuts...

Now...

If I go through with the GTI purchase... Is there some extra fun for it? besides a limited slip differential for in the back... With out moding much, and or adding weight to the car...?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts