Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just completed the "marriage" of the 34 PICT and 009 on my woods buggy. First, don't set the static timing on TDC. The centrifugal advance will lag behind the extra fuel after acceleration and "bog" a little. This "bog" wasy on my 1641 engine with an Engle 110 cam. I set the idle timing at 7 degrees advanced. Then I removed the card and removed the lower butterfly. There is a small hole in this butterfly that I soldered up. take a 1/4" drill lbit (or close to it) and gently spin it on either side of this little hole to make a slight chamfer on the butterfly plate. Solder the hole full on both sides, then gently file and lightly sand the solder back down flush with the butterfly so you can slide it back into the pivot rod. The chanfer on both sides will keep the solder from ever falling out and into the fuel path. After you re-install the carb, I recommend you set the timing based on around 3500~4000 rpm to the desired TOTAL advance. The initial 7 degrees will get you close, but some people like to set the 009 this way as well.
Some will disagree with this closing up of the butterfly hole, and they can give you valid reasons. However, it worked out fine for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
With the hole in the butterfly soldered up in the 34 -3, it does make adjusting the carburetor considerably easier. It also makes eliminating the hesitation that is common when an 09 distributor is thrown into the mix. The solder does'nt eliminate the hesitation by it self, adjusting the accelerator pump shot is also part of the equasion. Next is the timing, accurate TDC marking on the crank pulley is critical because you don't set timing at idle, 3400 or 3500 rpm is when you set your timing to 31 degrees BTDC, a degree wheel is really helpful here.

Ainokea

1 - 4 of 4 Posts