Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a 69 beetle I'm wondering what trans axel would be able to take 500-600hp. I've heard of the porsche five speeds but I've also heard of people building the vw trans axel. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
200 Posts
There are several vendors that can supply you with transaxle like that. Check with companies like Rancho Transmissions or Weedle Industries.

It is possible that a home builder with experience in building VW transaxles could also build one up. Stock parts and the stock housing itself would be replaced in this process. Hot VWs has covered building high performance transaxles in some of the back issues. It could be an expensive adventure, but good learning experience.

You will also need to beef up the axles and CV joints at a minimum to get any longevity out of this level of horsepower. There are also a lot of things to consider about the gear ratios depending on what type of motor will be driving it, powerbandm and what the application and weight of the car are.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
200 Posts
BTW, you will likely be swapping in a bus (Type 2) style transaxle or an aftermarket housing transaxle. The standard Beetle (Type 1) transaxle would be challenged handling more than half of this horsepower in any useful performance application.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are several vendors that can supply you with transaxle like that. Check with companies like Rancho Transmissions or Weedle Industries.

It is possible that a home builder with experience in building VW transaxles could also build one up. Stock parts and the stock housing itself would be replaced in this process. Hot VWs has covered building high performance transaxles in some of the back issues. It could be an expensive adventure, but good learning experience.

You will also need to beef up the axles and CV joints at a minimum to get any longevity out of this level of horsepower. There are also a lot of things to consider about the gear ratios depending on what type of motor will be driving it, powerbandm and what the application and weight of the car are.
Thank you. Yea I plan on doing a 12v vr6 swap. It will proably stay somewhat stock for a time being just so I can get the engine mount fab all set but eventually I plan on boosting it and getting it to around 450hp realistically. I just want to keep it reliableish so im just planning ahead for the future. I have experience with fab and engine work but no experience in transmissions let alone transaxels so I'll probably look into just buying prebuilt one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts