Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 Beetle. The engine runs very well so it is time to start fixing the body and get it painted.
Here is a video showing the outside and inside:

streamable.com

66_beetle_rebuild_start
Watch "66_beetle_rebuild_start" on Streamable.
streamable.com
streamable.com
I think most of the rusty areas are surface and can be sanded to good metal. I also think most minor dents can be tapped out flush. Also the floor pans are in good shape.
From what I can see, the worst area is the rear passenger. Do I need to order a new panel, cut out the old, weld in the new, sand/smooth down the weld, etc? I am not opposed to just ordering new panels and rails from CIP1 if need be. Bondo/fiberglass?
Any advice appreciated, I am not a body repair guy haha

·
Registered
463 Posts
You mean you are not a body repair guy yet. You may be when finished. Jbugs has some nice videos on their website on restoration. First step is to spray every bolt you can see wih a rust buster type product. Then strip everything (fenders, hood, etc.) from body shell. I'm old and slow so I take photos of every step and keep hardware bagged and labeled. Generally patch panels are easier than fabricating your own unless you are patching smaller holes. Look through this forum for rustybug's posts. He has a very detailed step by step on a very rusted bug. Good luck to you and welcone to the group.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts