Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. 67 bug, new carb, electronic ign, timed right,
valves in adjustment, 1638 engine is tight, everything checks
out. I had a problem going a hundred or so feet, first time it
acted this way. Died a couple times, 10 second crank time to
restart, but made it up. I'm thinking float is set too low so it's
fuel starved on very steep hills. Is that even a thing? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Thom W

·
Registered
271 Posts
Newbie here. 67 bug, new carb, electronic ign, timed right,
valves in adjustment, 1638 engine is tight, everything checks
out. I had a problem going a hundred or so feet, first time it
acted this way. Died a couple times, 10 second crank time to
restart, but made it up. I'm thinking float is set too low so it's
fuel starved on very steep hills. Is that even a thing? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Thom W
Sounds possible to me. Did you change to headers or other high performance changes? If so, maybe jetted too small and starving under load. Does it handle flat ground OK?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds possible to me. Did you change to headers or other high performance changes? If so, maybe jetted too small and starving under load. Does it handle flat ground OK?
No headers, but it seems to have a good cam from the slight lope at idle. 2nd new carb, lots of fiddling to get the mixture right,
starts, runs fine on the flat. First time to our cabin, last 100' is pretty steep but doable for 2WD cars. I got a bit of a run
on it and it did well but It seemed that there was a fuel delivery issue so my mind went to low float level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer your other question, jetting was a much discussed topic at my local
VW shop (Relic in Wildomar, CA). They made sure I had the right jets.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What is the altitude at your cabin? I remember a lifetime ago driving a carbureted car into a valley in the mountains and couldn't drive back out. Had to adjust carburetor leaner I think to climb back out. We are spoiled with fuel injection now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah f.i. is nice. I put the 'Embedded Lockers' f.i. on our classic 71 Revcon and it worked
well for 10 + years, then I had a niggling problem that I just couldn't figure out so I went
back to a simple Q-Jet.
Anyway, our house is at 1200' and the cabin is around 2700'. I didn't think that elevation
was enough to make a difference but maybe it's just enough. If the problem persists, I'll
try to fatten it up temporarily. Easier than changing the float level!

Thom W

·
Registered
271 Posts
That should not cause a problem. High altitudes air thinner have to adjust leaner mix. Can you jack front end up enough and duplicate problem? Carefully?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're of course correct. I should have said 'lean it out' but that really means smaller jets, yes?

ANYWAY today was a whole new experience...not in a good way. Got to cabin, had a little
stumbling on the steep, top of the driveway. Then, on the flat, it DIED completely and wouldn't
even try to start. Did a few hours work there and jumped in, thinking I could just coast down the
500 or so feet and start it that way. Gas gauge said 1/4 tank, so no problem.....right?
Got the 500 feet down, it still wouldn't start. Got out my 'Marked Stick That Never Lies', it was
bone dry. Put 5 gal of gas in, started right up, GREAT! Drove down the hill for about 5 miles...it
died again. After a full hour on hold with AAA 'towing', called the wife, nice guy gave me tow rope
and home we are. It seems like a fuel starvation issue, which would be a new one. I'll find out, so
others don't have this particular problem stop them.

nb: if I can't make this old beast dependable after the $$ I've already spent, it will be sold.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would check fuel pump output. Also the fuel lines from tank to carburetor. If you didn't replace fuel pump it could be the culprit. Our alcohol blend fuels cause a lot of fuel pump and carburetor issues. As far as altitude, you only need to adjust mixture, not rejet. The altitude you are talking about shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
88 Posts
A few things to think about here.
1. VW gas gauges (most cars of any type) are not all that accurate, mechanical or electrical. In the case of a 67, need to make sure the needle tracks down to empty. Run it dry with a gallon or two in a gas can and put one then two gallons in and see if the gauge is moving ok. I switched my 67 to electric (used a 1300 style speedometer with a gas gauge and an electric sender). It is much better but you need to see if it also reads correct down to empty.
2. You may have a weak fuel pump if it is actually starving, though going up hill raises the tank higher and should help with fuel pressure. You could try the flow and pressure test which i just to remove the fuel line from the carburetor, put the end in a clear bottle and crank the engine. If carb still has some fuel the car will start. You should see a strong stream of fuel come out of the line. If you have the original style fuel pump, there is also a fuel screen in it that you need to clean from time to time. It will be a 13mm nut on the side.
3. Have you checked for rust in the tank, fuel filter, fuel pump or carb float bowl? VW design for the tank is shaped like a V and should run out any water or rust, however if there is a piece of rust larger then the outlet pipe it will float around the outlet and might close it off at certain angles, especially if the tank is low.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
88 Posts
Another area to check out is the rubber fuel lines. As JohnNewb pointed out alcohol in the fuel can attack older rubber parts. If the lines are original, or really old, there is a chance you are getting poor fuel flow through the lines.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A little off topic but... Having quite a bit of experience driving VWs in the wild, if you are having a problem getting up a steep hill in first, turn around an drive up in reverse. Reverse is slightly lower ratio and you get better traction on wet muddy ground pulling the car through mud or ice, rather that pushing the light front end through it. This might be useful in the winter going to your cabin if the road is steep or slick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another area to check out is the rubber fuel lines. As JohnNewb pointed out alcohol in the fuel can attack older rubber parts. If the lines are original, or really old, there is a chance you are getting poor fuel flow through the lines.
Thanks Tony and John. I'll look into all of your suggestions. Of note, fuel pump, new and I checked the rod length. New carb. New rubber lines to carb. I'll check the possibility of a clog from tank. That could be an issue. I now know NOT to trust gauge. I'll use my odometer as my guide!

Re: using reverse, my dad told me he did that in college when he had a 1923 Studebaker with no guts. I remember that for the future!

Thanks all.

Thom W

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hoo boy. Drained fuel, took my borescope to look in at the tank's
fuel outlet, no rust there. Blew air back to front through the gas
line, no clogs (rust) there. Soaked the (brand new) filter in gas
looking for anything coming out (ie; rust). None. Blew filter out,
no rust there. Started with carb disconnected, fuel's coming out
of fuel pump as it should. Put it all back together again, started
right up, runs great for a minute or so...then sput-sput-sputters
and dies. I'm out of ideas. It REALLY seems like a fuel starvation
problem but.... it all seems to be working correctly in that area.

·
Registered
271 Posts
When it dies can you look down carburetor and pump the throttle back and forth and see if gas sprays? You may have something restricting needle valve and fuel not entering carburetor fast enough to keep float chamber level up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When it dies can you look down carburetor and pump the throttle back and forth and see if gas sprays? You may have something restricting needle valve and fuel not entering carburetor fast enough to keep float chamber level up.
Didn't do that. I guess it could be maybe a faulty accel pump....or.....
nope, I'm out of ideas again! I'll check and report back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll take the carb off and see if anything seems out of whack. If I can't figgur it
out, in it goes to my VW place Tuesday and will tell them to look at that.

thanks!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts