Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've just bought a 73 1.3 beetle. I can get it to turn on and keep reving it but if I let go of the gas in just dies down.
If I give it to much gas in backfires and bogs down if I try to pull away.
I have put a brand new carb on that was supplied by previous owner.

If anyone has any tips or can help it would be greatly appreciated, this is the first time owning a aircooled vw.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Air-cooled only eliminates radiator and water cooling system. To run you need ignition and proper air/fuel mixture. If you bought it condition unknown I would check all the basics. Fuel lines and filter. Vacuum lines. Ignition timing, spark plugs, points, condenser, rotor, cap, and wires. I would check compression and adjust valves. Make sure carb is properly adjusted including float setting. Don't count on new being correct out of the box

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I've just bought a 73 1.3 beetle. I can get it to turn on and keep reving it but if I let go of the gas in just dies down.
If I give it to much gas in backfires and bogs down if I try to pull away.
I have put a brand new carb on that was supplied by previous owner.

If anyone has any tips or can help it would be greatly appreciated, this is the first time owning a aircooled vw.
Check the rubber boots on your intake manifold. Ours were severely dry rotted and causing major problems….almost exactly what you’re describing. We also replaced the carb first like you did but the boots were the culprit! Runs purdy now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts