Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at buying a 74 beetle and the owner said the fuel gauge will read 1/2 way when the tank is actually full and that its because the float gets caught at the top of the tank. He says hell have to adjust the float about every 3-5 times he fills up in order for the gauge to read accurately. If the fuel gauge is new, the only problem that could be causing this would be that the sender is bad right? thank you.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
130 Posts
Could be the wrong model sender. Perhaps a regular VW Beetle sender in a Super Beetle gas tank. The senders are very different because the tanks are a significantly different shape.

·
Registered
17 Posts
im looking at buying a 74 beetle and the owner said the fuel gauge will read 1/2 way when the tank is actually full and that its because the float gets caught at the top of the tank. He says hell have to adjust the float about every 3-5 times he fills up in order for the gauge to read accurately. If the fuel gauge is new, the only problem that could be causing this would be that the sender is bad right? thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nick, I had a similar problem when I bought my 73 super beetle two years ago. I drained the fuel tank and removed it which is a prerequisite for changing the sender. The sender with gasket are easy to replace, but often, people do not check the mechanical zero before placing the sender in the tank. With a couple of electrical leads and alligator clips you power up the sender and move the float arm through it’s full range, watching the fuel gage on the speedo. Adjust the small metal tabs on the sender so the float arm shows use of the full gage range between E and F. Then, install in the tank and don’t over-tighten or the float arm will touch and bind against the interior tank baffle plate. Be sure to search YOUTUBE for videos on all this.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
130 Posts
So Nick, is it fixed and if so what was the solution?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts