Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 81 Cabriolet about 2 years ago.It has around 60,000 miles. I had a 60 miles run do drive it to my garage. The engine ran very good but the clutch was slippery. I did not drive it any longer. I took off the transmission and changed the clutch and all the oil seals I could. The only thing I did on thé engine was change the distruter cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires.
I started it for the first time a week ago. It starter good, but bas no iddle. I have To jeep the foot on pedal To keep it running. I does not deliver enough power to move the car. When I lift the foot off the gas pedal, the engine dies.
Any one could give me advices..
Tanks
Yves

·
Super Moderator
10,442 Posts
Moving your post to the older rabbit forum.
I would suspect that your timing is off, changing all the things you did, you may have gotten a spark wire crossed or moved the dizzy.

First go to the following site www.cabby-info.com and in the ignition section there is a link on how to set your timing statically, this verifies that you car is in time. The same thread also shows you where the plug wires go.

Once it is statically in time, then start the car and adjust the timing to 6btdc @ 800 rpm by moving your diz a wee bit, which is where I thing the problem is that or your wires are on wrong.

If you aren't using NGK plugs you may want to get a set, the Bosch and others aren't up to par.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts