Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I'm putting a turbo on my 81 diesel. Did they use a different head? If not, different head bolts, gaskets?
Thanks...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Same head is used but there are different intakes and exhaust manifolds to buy. OH and the turbo itself, with a flange for the downpipe, oil feed line, drain to the oil pan, special oil pan or drill and tap the one you have. Oil filter flange might be able to accept oil feed line if it has a port on the top. Need new coolant lines for the water/oil cooler. Need to move the fuel filter, need an intake for the turbo and filter. Don't forget the new larger exhaust pipe at least 2.25 inches diam. Won't run worth a darn if you don't put the correct IP on with the LDA on top.
I did this to my 1.6 last July and spent a year collecting parts off Ebay, Craigslist and MK1 Autohaus. I may have forgotten a bit or two, Oh yeah, air filter! new valve cover and take off for the vent at the bottom of the engine and on top the valve cover back to the intake.

You are looking at approximately 1200 bucks to drop that on there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
IP is an injection pump. The LDA is the spaceship looking thing that has the function of adding fuel to the engine above and beyond what it normally is doing when the boost pressure kicks in. More air + More fuel = More fun/acceleration/ trouble. All depends on how you think about it.

You should look into buying a Bentley's Repair Manual for you vehicle. Plenty of them on Craigslist. You really need to have one to do any mechanic work on the car. Way Wise to spend your first money there and read it before opening the tool bag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Coaster. I bought the book same day as the truck. I've been a Motorcycle mechanic for 40 years so I'm good with the wrench. This engine is smaller than most bike engines I've rebuilt. I'm going to have a blast with this thing. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts