Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Wild Wolf here (or you can call me Wolfie if you'd like). I'm new to the forums and just wanted to stop by, say hello, and maybe ask for y'alls help.

I've recently discovered an '81 Rabbit Diesel that seems to be in decent working order with a new engine and low miles. The problem, is there are some things that need work and I was wondering if you guys thought this was a good deal or not?

....I guess I can't link the listing because my post count isn't high enough?? Huh...Well, I guess I'll link the listing to the 81 rabbit whenever I can. Here's the info he posted on the car:

"Title says it all. This is a classic Volkswagen that just keeps going. The good: Paint and interior are in fair condition for its age, runs well, rack and pinion steering with excellent control, glass is intact with no cracks, replaced engine with 82,000 miles on it, $400 in new tires, new hoses, fun car to drive and turns heads. The car has only 53,000 miles (less than engine), 40-50mpg, roughly 11-12 galllon tank (cheap to fill up), great for cruising with the windows down. Manual transmission 4 speed.

The not so good: needs replacement headliner, has a moon roof that is not functional, passenger door interior panel needs minor repairs, driver side door handle recently stopped working from the outside of the car (inside still works), radio and AC need work. Sometimes leaks in the interior through cracked seal in moonroof (lands in the rear floorboard), ) has oil leak, minor dent on driver fender.

Fun car to drive and do short commutes in, it might need a new battery but still starts. Need to check the oil before driving to make sure oil level is adequate depending on how often you drive it. It's all original and you can pretty much do whatever you want to it. Great car as it is, or would be a fun car to do minor or full restoration. Only selling due to the fact that I don't drive it that often and am expecting our first child. Inspected and registered until 5/17.

I have $5,000 into it. My loss your gain. Would like to sell to a buyer interested in keeping this baby on the road. No computer in it. EMP safe.
"

I'll check back and upload a link as soon as I can.

Wolf

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
Take the 5000 and invest in Amazon, you will have more monies is a shorter time than spending it on this.

81 Diesel with 56K, and a new engine with 86K?????

5000 was about what they sold for new.

The not so good:

needs replacement headliner, has a moon roof that is not functional,
The installation of a headliner isn't easy or cheap. They are a large pain in the arse.
Moon Roof? OEM or Dealer add on, getting it functional if oem may need a new frame, Dealer add-on may need new seals or things, that are no longer available, and then you are looking at getting a new one from somewhere.

passenger door interior panel needs minor repairs,
Depends on what is wrong, I suspect that the masonite backer board has given up the ghost, and probably needs replacing, it isn't a hard job, and it isn't easy especially finding 1/8 inch staples.
I just dropped 400 on new covers for my seats, and door cards on my cabby.

driver side door handle recently stopped working from the outside of the car (inside still works).
New Door handle is about 15-20 bucks, your lock cylinder will swap right over.

radio and AC need work.
A/C could be a lot of things, knowing what it needs only assists you, usually the heater box drain is so full of crud it is plugged, and the a/c can't drain so it makes ice. Compressors aren't that expensive, and neither are the condenser or evap. Depends on if it is a Sanden or York. Easy fix to keep the cur out of the air intake...They fixed it in the 83 version..by placing a screen over the fresh air inlet, and the hood vents

Radios are easy, installing them not so..... look at where the speakers are in the front... :)

Sometimes leaks in the interior through cracked seal in moonroof (lands in the rear floorboard)
See the above. Could also be plugged drains.

has oil leak, minor dent on driver fender.
Oil leak from where, the pan, the valve cover, the rear seal or front main seal, or between the 3rd and 4th cylinder on the head.
Usually it is a valve cover seal, and you will need to get a diverter or splash tray installed. Minimal to major costs.

Dent in driver fender? what type of dent and where.

He didn't say what version plain jane, C, L, LS as the options are different and so are the trim levels.

I think he wants tooooooo much....

Getting it back to OEM takes time effort and monies..... Plan on at least 1000-2000 to get it almost there.

my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
10,417 Posts
Oh, Welcome to the forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts