Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rabbit diesel started up fine and after about 10 seconds it quit like the key was turned off. Checked the solenoid and has power and can feel it clicking. Turns over fine and glow plugs cycle. Noticed fuel on the floor in the pump area and on the side of the block, Is there an o ring or something that could be leaking that I should look for ? Wondering where I should start diagnosis at. Thanks. Should mention that the car had sat for 10 or more years but I replaced fuel and have put about 1500 miles on it since I bought it. Car now has aprox 100,000 miles on it, new fuel filter, timing belt etc. also sometimes it would turn over and not start but if you turned ignition off and on again it would go

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts
only o-rings that I remember are on the shutoff valve, and the throttle arm.
Just because it clicks doesn't mean it is good. Take it out and clean and shine the solenoid. then apply 12C and ground to it ro make sure the things picks on and off and stays picked with voltage applied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only o-rings that I remember are on the shutoff valve, and the throttle arm.
Just because it clicks doesn't mean it is good. Take it out and clean and shine the solenoid. then apply 12C and ground to it ro make sure the things picks on and off and stays picked with voltage applied.
I actually put a new shutoff valve on and still no start. Just seems like it ran out of fuel. Thanks for the reply

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts
check that your clear line is full of fuel and no air bubbles are present when you are cranking the starter. if it is then you will need to bleed it, and or possibly your injecetor lines at the injector connections, and the stand off lines at the iron manifold at the rear of the Ip where the inector lines attach to it at the manifold and then the lines, Slightly crack then open crank the engine, and with fuel leaking close them.
Also make sure that your firewall fuse to the glow plugs is intact and there is 12Vdc+ to Ground on both sides with the ignition on and not started.

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts
I had one that got a air bubble between the cast iron manifold at the rear to the stand offs that the fuel lines connect to.
I had to loosen the lines at the standoffs, then loosen the Stands offs to bleed air out. I suspect that may be the issue or the IP needs to be rebuilt as the vanes are stuck and not forming a seal to pump the fuel through.

there are plenty of sites that can link you to how to rebuild these critters, one a special screw tool for those security nuts is the on;y special one.

section 2 sub group 23

1 - 6 of 6 Posts