Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently swapped a 1989 transmission into our 1985 cabby. It shifts great but only if I lift up on the shifter. If I shift normally I can go into reverse without pushing down and it is difficult to find gears. If I very slightly pull up on the shift knob everything works perfect! I think the shifter sags too easily and there is a spring under the shift knob which I think is the issue as it doesn't spring upwards enough. We replaced the shifter bearing plate and bushings/linkages last fall except for the bushing that holds the long rod between the shifter and transmission.

Our hazard lights are having issues. The front bulbs always seem to work but the rear only one bulb works at a time. Sometimes it's the driver and sometimes the passenger it picks on its own. However, if for example the passenger bulb will not work with the hazard lights.. I can turn off the hazards and use the turn signal and the bulb will work just fine. It is only a hazard issue, not turn signal or bulb.

·
Super Moderator
10,419 Posts
Well, I would get new parts for the shifter links, bushes, main bearing (trick is to slice it longways and bend it over the shaft then re-clamp with nut/bolt, then do the adjustments. It could be that your shifter is worn and your stop finger isn't right.....

For the bulbs, do yourself a favor, if you haven't replaced your battery to frame and frame to engine ground do so.
Then in the rear remove the plate that holds the bulbs, a lot of issues are that corrosion has built up on the sockets, and the power finger to the bulb.
In the Middle of the plate is the 3 finger ground point. Use a new male spade connector and then run it over to the left Bumper bolt, and the right side to the right bumper bolt.

If the turns work then it isn't the flasher wires or bulb usually it is the Hazard switch... The hazard and turns both get power from the Hazard switch.
But I bet if you clean the bulb sockets and bulbs, then clean the bulb power wires, and add new grounds you might be surprised.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian,

I have changed all of those shifter items you mentioned except the one bushing which didn't come in the bushing kit and still looks okay. But I have all new linkages, bearing, bushings, etc. The stop finger looks perfect with no issues or chipping of the plastic. The only items not replaced was the spring under the knob and the single bushing I referred to earlier. To note, the shifter felt great last year then one day we were working on the car and all of a sudden the shifter felt more bobble head than normal. This was a few weeks after all the new parts were swapped in too.

Great to know! I inspected the lights and they all look clean and tight but I may remove and do everything over to be safe. Oddly enough the hazards are working fine now.

·
Super Moderator
10,419 Posts
Brian,

I have changed all of those shifter items you mentioned except the one bushing which didn't come in the bushing kit and still looks okay. But I have all new linkages, bearing, bushings, etc. The stop finger looks perfect with no issues or chipping of the plastic. The only items not replaced was the spring under the knob and the single bushing I referred to earlier. To note, the shifter felt great last year then one day we were working on the car and all of a sudden the shifter felt more bobble head than normal. This was a few weeks after all the new parts were swapped in too.
Bobble is possible the Cabin side of the Mechanism.... It may be worn out.
171711247 it is the same between the 4spd and 5.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-meyle-parts/shift-lever-base/171711247~mey/

The main bushing isn't probably the issue: (the trick is: Drill the rivet out on the car as it holds the bracket (2)
SLICE THE OLD BUSHING OFF THE ROD.
Slice the new bushing lengthwise, and slip it on the rod position it and re-bracket it using 2 bolts lock washers and nuts or aircraft nuts.)

Grounds sounds like your issue verify, and replace all that you find, WHY? because the Electric Fairies will find any path to ground it can, and it is terrible when the starter uses the Cluster for ground, or the ECU, Speedo or Clutch cable.....to get to ground.... :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The base (bearing) you linked to is one of the parts I replaced last autumn with a brand new one from VW. Perhaps I received a defective one. Like I said it worked fine for a bit it was nice and tight.. but now feels sloppy. I inspected the base again and I can see the shift rod sliding smoothly up and down through the center.. it's not tight and doesn't grab the shift lever, not sure if it suppose to be or not, and this is why I am thinking the spring is sagging as it is not stiff.

·
Super Moderator
10,419 Posts
Could be that the cir-clip has moved, allowing the spring to be unchecked, or the spacer....wouldn't hurt to investigate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian,

You were correct about the C-clip. It popped out of its groove on the shift rod and the spring was extended 1/2" higher than it should loosing it tension. You couldn't tell by looking at it, it wasn't until I went to remove the clip and noticed it moved freely. I pushed the c-clip/bushing/spring down into its groove on the shift rod. It now shifts perfectly again. I will keep an eye on the clip maybe its worn out but hopefully it wont pop off again.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
10,419 Posts
Thanks for the update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts