Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is the right place for this, still an MK1.

Just picked up a pretty solid cabby from Craigslist, couple questions.

The last owners of this car were an older couple who didn't put many miles on it, currently has 87.7k. Parked around 02 because the wife got in a separate accident and couldn't drive anymore. I was told about a year after that (03' ish), they had it looked over and ran. It's been just sitting under their carport since then.

Got the car home and popped a battery in it and it turns over great but no fire. My first thought was to make sure the fuel pump was working I hear no noises when turning the key to ON, nothing from either fuel pump ect. I checked the relay by switching the horn and the fuel pump one but that didn't help. Troubleshooting tips?

As far as getting it running goes, I'm stuck. I have a bentley manual on the way. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
46fa897d-a2d4-4372-b25f-4bb8aeea4a01.jpg
cc5b6739-1dbb-4a80-90df-2f4176920eca.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think this is the right place for this, still an MK1.

Just picked up a pretty solid cabby from Craigslist, couple questions.

The last owners of this car were an older couple who didn't put many miles on it, currently has 87.7k. Parked around 02 because the wife got in a separate accident and couldn't drive anymore. I was told about a year after that (03' ish), they had it looked over and ran. It's been just sitting under their carport since then.

Got the car home and popped a battery in it and it turns over great but no fire. My first thought was to make sure the fuel pump was working I hear no noises when turning the key to ON, nothing from either fuel pump ect. I checked the relay by switching the horn and the fuel pump one but that didn't help. Troubleshooting tips?

As far as getting it running goes, I'm stuck. I have a bentley manual on the way. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! View attachment 44469 View attachment 44470

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Funny, i just bought a 93 with a similar story, it also sat for 12 years. It is not running. I will be getting it delivered from Florida in a week. I will start as follows:
Fuel: Check fuel tank for dirt and follow the flow, via the pumps and filters to the injectors. Clean and exchange as necessary. Fill in fresh gas.
Engine turns/ oil: Disconnect fuel supply / pumps, take out spark plugs, drain oil, fill cheaper oil into engine with new oilfilter and try to turn over manually. Once that works, use starter motor,
Sparks: check rotor of distributor. Check for sparks, put plugs in.
Coolant: Check coolant and replenish if needed.
start engine.......have a beer once it started. Leave the garage if not, try another day....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Follow the directions above. DO NOT attempt to start without draining fuel, oil, etc. Put some lube in cylinder. With spark plugs out turn over engine to prevent seizure issues. Put fresh fuel and fluids in. Disconnect fuel line in engine compartment near fuel filter, crank engine to pump old fuel in lines and filter out. Replace fuel filter. Install new spark plugs, charge battery, and attempt start up. I think this covers most of the critical stuff. Good Luck! Keep us posted. Bentley shop manual is a great resource.

·
Super Moderator
10,511 Posts
On the op, no on Dare yes. The 84.5>Cabriolets and above had 2 fuel pumps.
If you have a full sized spare tire, and a 10 gallon tank 1 pump.
13 gallon tank and a spacesaver spare, yo have 2.

·
Registered
436 Posts
For the cost of all the replacement fuel distributor CIS tools/parts you could swap a weber carb and manifold from ebay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny, i just bought a 93 with a similar story, it also sat for 12 years. It is not running. I will be getting it delivered from Florida in a week. I will start as follows:
Fuel: Check fuel tank for dirt and follow the flow, via the pumps and filters to the injectors. Clean and exchange as necessary. Fill in fresh gas.
Engine turns/ oil: Disconnect fuel supply / pumps, take out spark plugs, drain oil, fill cheaper oil into engine with new oilfilter and try to turn over manually. Once that works, use starter motor,
Sparks: check rotor of distributor. Check for sparks, put plugs in.
Coolant: Check coolant and replenish if needed.
start engine.......have a beer once it started. Leave the garage if not, try another day....
And then it came differently then planned..... gas tank had a hole and engine was seized. Game over, lol

·
Super Moderator
10,511 Posts
And then it came differently then planned..... gas tank had a hole and engine was seized. Game over, lol
I gots a 92 that I am thinking about getting rid of...Engine has about 247K top Canvas 4 year old.
Auto has 80K, Interior is tan and 4 years old..... Everything works.... But the Crank has only 120K on it.
No Plastic flanges, and a TT dual down with a 4-2 manifold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts