Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car used to be really zippy and now when i drive it almost feels like i left my parking brake on. thats the best way to decribe it. so i started unplugging wires to see if anything changes and there is one clip in the back that plugs into something right by the throttle stuff and there is one that plugs into this pop can sized little cylinder thing right out front on top. if i unplug both of those at the same time it runs a little bit better. i need help! thanks.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
ok, that little cylinder thing is the idle control valve, that dictates how much air passes through to correct the idle. Alot of people delete that, but i dont reccomend it, since it helps in the car starting and running right (esp. if you have a/c and p/s). That throttle connector is either your full throttle or idle switch, if those are faulty, they will make your car run like dog isht.

To test these components follow these steps:

The ISV (idle stabilization valve):
- Check resistance with a multi-meter on the two outside terminals to the center terminal on the ISV itself (there should be three all together)
- There should be a reading 12.5 ohms (give or take +-.2-.3), on each side
- Then measure the two outer terminals together and should get a reading of 25 ohms +- 1 ohm.

- Then clean it out with some electronic parts cleaner (or brake kleen), soak it for about 10-15 seconds then dump out.
- Re-install, start the car and you should hear it work (and feel for it with your hand).
- If it doesnt work, check the plug and see if your getting 12 volts
- If you are, then the ISV is faulty and should be replaced.

Now what plug are you talking about on the top by the throttle?
is it this one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll be looking at my IAC later this weekend. THANKS!
I had a big lack of power problem last year. I was driving in town and it suddenly started running BAD.
I finally got some help and it turned out to be a broken ground wire up at the left side of the valve cover.
There is a junction (on my car) with about three or four ground wires. One of them had broken off.
I am only talking 12 - 14 ga wires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, I just checked the ISV on my '87 and it appears to be working. The resistances were what you indicated, BIGGREEK, and it buzzes with the ignition on, 3 sec on and 1 sec off, more or less.
I noted that the orange dipstick holder came off when I checked the oil last week, and there appears to be an orange remainder inside the top of the metal tube, perhaps broken off from inside the dipstick holder? Seems like a good part to investigate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
im having the same thing but oil on spark plugs went for oil change and timing ran perfect for a month then all the sudden misfires sluggish and sounds like ass even when the pedal is through the floorpan 1987 1.8 8v jetta gli and now im seeing smoke every now and again from the exhaust when im at a light feel free to email me with links and parts this car is my daily and used to be more responsive now i have old ladies giving me the finger as they go around me :eek:

[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts