Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this Jetta today and the temperature light is flashing. The manual says that its running hot or its low on fluid. Well the needle is right in the middle of the gauge and it raises up to there and doesn't go any further. So we (husband and myself) checked the level it was low and it seemed as if there was no coolant in the lines from the reservoir to the radiator.

We had already decided to do basic maintenance ie. oil change, system flushes, tires, breaks ect. So we bought some coolant from walmart and added it to the car. (at the time I didn't know that VW's took special coolant but we're just trying to flush the system) The light went off everything seemed to be working just fine. Went to the store and after a few miles (about 8 ) the light started flashing again. Pulled over and the reservoir had drained but now it seems like there was coolant in the lines.

Basically to sum it up the coolant was low... put more in and the coolants low again. What could it be? thanks
There are no obvious signs of a leak, but this is our first VW but he is a great mechanic we just don't know what the problem would be.

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
If nothing is leaking then you have air in the system. Keep doing what your doing and it will level of. At the dealer we have a special tool to purge all air and fill it with coolant in about 1 minute. Without the tool it can take a while. The cooling flange on the head and the water pump like to leak on those.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts