Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rabbit got to go on a little bit of an adventure. Drove from upstate NY to Southern California. Went 2,900 miles after all was said and done, with some unexpected pit stops and some off the route stops.

Started by stopping and saying goodbye to his big brother, at his winter hibernation place.

The car was packed full to the brim. I was amazed by how much stuff this rabbit could hold, 6 boxes, 6 milk crates, a steamer chest, a large suitcase, and other smaller boxes and bedding all fit in the rabbit. As well as enough clothes for two people to travel for a week.

And I was off, goal for the first day was to reach Chicago, 700 miles from my starting point. Hit Pennsylvania and I was officially out of my home state.

Hit Cleveland shortly after.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Hit the road at 8:30 in the morning and hit Chicago around 4, not bad, I wasn’t tired so I stopped and said hi to my friend and then kept going. Managed to make it 1200 miles the first day and stopped in Adair, Iowa. It was the only town I could find with any rooms available, so for $35 a night I could stay in a sketchy hotel with free wifi. Fabulous. The windshield was awful with bugs, and in the picture you can’t really see just how many bugs were on the front of the car at this point.

First day I hit New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Iowa, made it pretty close to the Nebraska state line.

Second day the goal was Denver, and only had to make it 500 miles. Left the hotel around 10 after getting some good sleep and a nasty rash from the bed bugs. ? Arrived in Denver just in time to get some grub with a good friend and to stay for a few days.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Stayed with Foo Foo and we decided to tint the mirror indicators for Thug to have. But I'm keeping them

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were also kind enough to wash the car for me. Courtesy mostly of the 2 year old :p

After that it was up to Cheyenne Wyoming. Nothing memorable or worth talking about in Cheyenne, just a guy named M-Eazy trying to sell me some tacos. :confused:

Then the journey to my new home. 1100 miles left, hit the road about 7 am and got the ride of a life time. The rabbit did not enjoy going through the rockies nearly as much as I did. It took some definite care to keep her going.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

and then the camera died. $310 in gas, 2914 miles, 1 hotel room, and a whole lot of coffee and I made it. I was impressed how well the rabbit did on gas. I figured I was getting about 28mpg over the whole trip, lowest tank was 22 mpg and highest tank was 34 mpg. Pretty impressive considering how much crap I had in the trunk. Will give her a full detail this weekend. All she needed the whole trip was some air in her tires and some gas, and that's it.

I just wish I had stopped and taken more pictures along the way.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sleep with him every night :p The only man that will never let me down

Yes I'm a grown woman and I sleep with a teddy bear, I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Sarah,

I am really keen to see the photos, but for some strange reason I can only get the top littele bit of each photo.... Do you have another site where I can view them and your story?

:(

·
Registered
194 Posts
looks like a nice trip, great views through the nice big rabbit windshield :), what a perfect companion rabbit is.

thanks for sharing.

redgreen

·
Topless Moderator
6,589 Posts
sarah come back. you missed me and the wine at broke down :(

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Nice pictures! Glad that all went well with you and the car.
I'm wondering about this statement though:
"The rabbit did not enjoy going through the rockies "

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What Thug said, the car was full of crap, and lots of uphill, going about 70 uphill in 4th with my foot to the floor just to maintain speed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts