Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of the location of the ac relay on a '81 rabbit pickup? My ac is not getting cold at all. I think it's charged correctly, but I'm not 100% sure. If I could change the ac relay, I could eliminate that possibility.

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
The 81 doesn't really have a relay, it has a bunch of switches. The switch that controls the cooling is located at the top right of the heater box, and has a capilary tube that runs to the core.

A lot of issues with your a/c has to do with the heater valve not being fully closed or broken.
The heater valve replacement is a iffy thing and makes turning your control switch hard, so a better valve to use is the 1984 Porsche 944 non-vacuum heater valve. Make sure that your valve is fully closed prior to buying a new one.

See Chris's wiring guides.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok. My ac compressor doesn't seem to be engaging, but The clutch turns freely by hand. Also, it doesn't seem to have an expansion valve or at least I can't seem to find it.

I checked the pressure again and the gauge said it was 110 psi!?! I'm not sure how that happened.

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
The expansion valve is inside the cabin on the left hand side of the heater box.
The compressor is tuned by hand by the nut in the middle of the compressor.

expansion valve.

The a/c cut off switch to cut out the compressor is next to it with the Capillary tube into the evaporator core to prevent freeze up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried turning the nut in the middle of the compressor by hand, but there's no room there. I was able to turn the whole outer disc by hand and the nut turned with it.

I'm going to try replacing the expansion valve first to see if that helps. I'd rather not replace the compressor except as a last resort.

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
yes

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. So I got the porsche heater valve, but I'm not sure how to install it. There's an arrow on it which I pointed in the same direction as the old one. However, the cable is now on the bottom. Is that correct?

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
yes it changes position,but you can rotate it to be on the top...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts