Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well I'll be adding a small amp to my stock speakers soon. So far it seems that I have most of the concepts down. However there is one thing that's bother me. After running the speaker wire from my headunit to the amp, I will connect the amplified signal to the stock harness. But will I still need to tap in "unamplified" leads from the headunit to the "amplified signal"?

I was looking at this diagram:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2331712

it seems though he has leads coming from the headunit into the amplified signal....

My inner thought is saying that it is not necessary to tap into the headunit again after getting the "amplified" signal from the amp.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
i def would not do this. the chances of it improving the sound are slim to none. let alone with the stock speakers that are only meant to handle the wattage that the factory head unit offers them.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand your concern but I've read about lots of MKV owners doing this. But does anyone know if I still need to tap (unamplified) leads from the headunit?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
all u need to do is rca to the amp, then hack your radio harness so you can connect the amp'd wires to the speaker leads. then you are done.

Reactions: ClassicRbt

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all u need to do is rca to the amp, then hack your radio harness so you can connect the amp'd wires to the speaker leads. then you are done.
Awesome thanks for the help! I'm considering going to the junk yard and getting the stock harness cut out of a MKV and making a removal connection that way. I'll use a regular aftermarket harness paired with the oem harness.
Basicly the harness will be:
Factory-Aftermarket Radio harness- Factory harness.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The OEM speakers are definitely underpowered by the stock headunit. I was amazed at how good they sound now that I've replaced my headunit. Good luck with your mod, I'm sure it will do great things for your system :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The OEM speakers are definitely underpowered by the stock headunit. I was amazed at how good they sound now that I've replaced my headunit. Good luck with your mod, I'm sure it will do great things for your system :)
That is good to hear. I can not wait to do this.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
how many watts is the stock head unit running?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yea, my D3 runs 50watts per channel I think. It was such an improvement.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
hmm... i've been against swapping my stock head unit based on appearance. i didn't know there was so much untapped potential from our speakers. i'm doing it this weekend :D

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm... i've been against swapping my stock head unit based on appearance. i didn't know there was so much untapped potential from our speakers. i'm doing it this weekend :D
Let us know how it goes. Make sure you dont put to much power and keep the gains down.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You can get aftermarket headunits that look exactly like stock colors. I'll check my performance VW magazine and let u know the company name. Pretty sure it has touch screen 2.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You can get aftermarket headunits that look exactly like stock colors. I'll check my performance VW magazine and let u know the company name. Pretty sure it has touch screen 2.
that would've been cool 6 months ago haha. i'm just playing with you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A line out converter is perfect with the factory head unit...I just finished building this box. Carpet isn't spot on but it'll work for now...thinking about making it match the plastic texture back in the trunk area though...but I figured is not bad for my first crack at fiberglass work

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A line out converter is perfect with the factory head unit...I just finished building this box. Carpet isn't spot on but it'll work for now...thinking about making it match the plastic texture back in the trunk area though...but I figured is not bad for my first crack at fiberglass work
Looks great, I have a line out converter outputting an RCA signal to my subs as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts