Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Beetle Fender (bought used) has a audio/touch screen system but no GPS function. Is this a simple addition/activation or more complex? I called the dealer and they had no idea!?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
No, that is why the NAV radio part numbers begin with RNS, and yours; RCD.

RNS = Nav
RCD = Nope, can't add it either.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yeah, but why? Their NAV sucks, and updates are costly... You'll be
getting one that has an outdated map, and you'll need to add the GPS
antenna. I don't use the NAV in mine, it is irritating and out dated.
When using MDI, the vocal instructions completely over power what
your listening to; BT, AUX, SD CARD and RADIO are fine, but for
some reason, it way over talks the MDI. Yes, I have adjusted the
volume of the voice, the lower the voice, the lower the MDI volume
when it speaks. It doesn't do that with the other sources...

My Garmin, suction cupped to the window, is much better... The one
I got, I can add multiple destinations then optimize the trip. You can
buy them with built in dash cams to.

Basically, a store bought GPS is better, and lots offer free lifetime updates,
till the model becomes obsolete... My car's MAP is like, V4 and they're up
to V9. I am not paying $100.00 for a map update.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I just bought a new fog lamp kit which comes with wiring harness, fog lamps and grill for my polo sedan 2014.As my car is basic trendline car which has not come with the factory fitting.I have a 20 pin euro switch.And I heard that pin #8 is used for the front fog lamp.But unfortunately when I had a look in to the switch the pin # 8 #9 are already occupied with some wires I'm not sure what wires they are .I only have few empty pins in the switch they are #3,#5,#6,#7,#11,#12.So,I just need a suggestion what would be alternative pins to connect the front fog lights. Please try to reply back As quick as possible.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The plug may be populated, but that does not mean anything. That means the
fog light wire is there, but with a switch that does not have the fog function, won't
send power to it. You can use a volt meter to verify that.

Pin 8 front fog lights NL
Pin 9 rear fog light NSL

Then it's a case of getting the wires from the fog lights through the firewall, and hook it up to fuse 54.

The wires are already there at the switch, and go to the CECM. I think Fuse 54 is for fogs, but will not have a
fuse in it. You will need to wire a fused power wire to it. IT being empty, there should be the one mini spade
connector in one leg, but since no actual fog, the other leg will be empty.

AND, why did you post this in the BEETLE section?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

So you mean the vw has provided sockets in my car already for fog lamps.Because when I open the bonnet I could see there are two sockets near head lamp on left and right sides which are just covered with some water proof caps.So can I use those sockets by connecting them an hb4 9006 extensions wiring harness and also change the switch for the power to flow in to the fog lamp socket.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If your car did not come with fog lamps, there will be no wiring harnesses,
and no assemblies. You would need to put the fog housings where those caps
are. There will be no fog light assemblies there now, to put bulbs in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi sir,

So u mean that wire which are lying near the left and side of the headlight are for connecting the fog lamps. I think i can just connect the extension wirimg from the bulb to the factory wiring harness which is lying already over there near headlights.And nothing to connect to the fuse and need to change the switch with front fog lamp option.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The spots in your headlamps are for DRLs. They will not function as fog lights.
No where near bright enough, wrong angle and trajectory.

Fogs go down in the bumper cover, on each side of the lower grille. There are
covers there now. You buy a kit, the new covers come with cut-outs for the fog
lamp assemblies.

Kits are anywhere from $50.00 for cheap Chinese to $200+ for OEM.

You either need your own switch to run the fogs, or use PIN8 with a new
switch that has FOG option to trigger a relay, which is all it does anyway
through the CECM. There is a PDF out there, somewhere, on how to
install factory FOGs. Can use that as a guideline to install aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi

I have tried to take some close photos of the sockets which are just lying without any connections near the headlight.I just Wana know If this sockets are meant to connect fog lights using an extension wiring till the bumper and to the fog lamp.And I as I mentioned earlier the pin#8 and pin #9 are already occupied with some wires not sure what they are for may be pin#9 is going to my rear fog light.But what is the wire which is going in to pin# 8 ?I just Wana know if you think this sockets in the picture are meant for connecting fog lamps through extension.Do I have do anything with the fuse,Orelse can the connect fog lamps directly to those sockets with the hb4 extensions as they are near my headlights and cannot reach near the bumper.And change the switch with front fog lamp options.

Second idea: Instead of buying the new switch can the remove the pin #9 and disconnect and make plaster it and insert the wire from pin#8 front fog lamp in to #9.As I don't want to use the rear fog light.In this case do I need anything to do in the fuse box

Due to size issue I cannot attach pictures in this post.please check post below for more pictures

Thanks and regards

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I already told you, you need a switch that has the PULL UP for fogs, and you
show ME a picture of a switch, headlights on and pulled up.

I said that plug is NOT for fogs. If there is only ONE, then I don't know what it is
for, I thought you said there were two, one by each headlamp, and empty holes
where bulbs would go in each headlamp. No, it would lead to the CECM...

The MK6 Polo is like the Jetta, this is all I could find on installing
Fog lights:
http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da3315c66902d6.r6.cf1.rackcdn.com/Jetta_MKVI_FOG.pdf
THIS install guide allows you you to use your headlamp switch,
with the pull out fog function.

When I did mine on my '13 TDI, I ran my own wires and separate switch.

You can do whatever you want to use the switch for powering the fogs, or not.
You can wire a separate switch, and all new wiring to the switch. When you
got your fogs kit, you should have a relay harness for it. A switch will just
trigger the relay for the lights.

I believe you think that plug you found leads back into the car, to your 20pin
headlamp harness, pin 8, and that plug can be used to trigger the relay, no...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Sir,
I have posted some pictures in the above post please find the attachment at the end of the post.There is something like a paper clip symbol at the end of the post when you click on it the pictures will open.And the sockets what I said are on both the side near to the headlamp.But they are not connected any where and they are covered with the water proof caps.And when I have checked online it says fuse # 54 15amp for fog lamps when I had a look in the fuse box # 54 is already inserted with 15 amp fuse.So I'm assuming that they have provided fuse also

So I'm assuming that as I'm having a rear fog lamps option.I'm thinking that I can disconnect the wire going to pin#9 and connect the wire from pin#8 to pin#8.As I don't wanaa use the Rear fog lamps.

Importan:please do not forget to check the pictures on the above two posts by clicking on the paper clip symbol and please help me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi sir,

Please check the pictures by clicking the paper clips symbol I then andply .Please kindly do me the favour I hope you will reply .

Thanks in advance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts