Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

Aftermarket radio resets when car is turned off

814 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jcampbell 
#1 ·
Hey folks, long time lurker first time poster.

The 2009 Jetta City is on its last legs, so I picked up a cheap aftermarket stereo (Boss 820 BRGB) to serve me until she finally kicks the bucket. The previous aftermarket stereo (some touchscreen Pioneer unit) had lost its touchscreen abilities. It had weird wiring going on (factory wiring into 16-pin adapter) but I managed to pull out (what I think are) the original stereo connections from the stock wiring harness which were hiding deep in the dash. Once plugged in, the deck works great, with ONE issue. I cannot get the radio presets or other settings to stay programmed, as they reset each time the car is turned off. I want to say this is because the unit isn't receiving the 12V battery constant needed, but I've never really done any electrical work on post-1970s vehicles so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Is there a switched power source for these vehicles? Would it be as simple as using a multimeter to find the constant vs switched wires? I am also not sure of what REM+ means on the new wiring diagram. I have attached pictures of the stock wiring harness plugs, as well as the new wiring diagram and my descriptions of previous wiring setups. The only wire that lines up between the two setups is the solid orange one, which gives me confidence it actually is the ground wire. Unfortunately, I do not know what any of the other wires on the factory harness represent. I'm hoping it's as easy as finding this info out and re-pinning the factory plugs accordingly, but any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Finger Electrical wiring Automotive tire Hood Cable

Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram Pattern

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.