Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I picked up a brand new 2013 Tiguan S (Candy White, 6MT) and am loving it! What I am not loving are the broke down 16" steel wheels that are stock on the S trim.

Money is a bit tight (just bought a car!), so Im trying to avoid buying brand new wheels and tires, and am scouring the classifieds, craigslist, etc... for decent deals.

I found one local deal for VW OEM 18x8 wheels (44mm offset), that are already wrapped in brand new 225/40/18 Toyo Proxes. Price isnt as great as I would like, but it is "decent."

My question to you all, in all my newbness, is (1) whether the 44mm offset will work without spacers on an 18" wheel and (2) whether I can get away with 22/40/18 tires with this set up.

I have researched both questions, and still dont quite know. It seems there are a ton of people running 43-45mm offsets with no problem at all, so I feel a bit comfortable on that issue.

That said, I have also heard that its best to stick to a 50 series tire on an 18 rim. What are the possible downsides to using a 225/40 (other than, perhaps, inaccurate speedo)?

Thanks!!!! Christian

PS- there is another local deal for some 17" VW Denvers, but they have 51mm offset!! My guess is I would need spacers to make those work?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ride will be harder with 40 rather than a 50 sidewall. The wheels prob came off a car so you may want to look into the load rating on the tires. The more offset the less the wheel is gonna stick out so you may have clearance issues with the spring and what not but i think your ok as long as you stay with OEM wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wabbit! These wheels/tires are take-offs from an Audi A6. The wheel size/offset, etc... all seem to be fine. Just worried about the lower profile tires. A 245/50 tire would be fine according to various tire variance calculators, and a 235/50 tire would be "almost" fine (just a little bit off) according to those same calculators. Unfortunately, the 235/45 tire is going to be about a -6.5% variance.

I saw that someone else ran these with a Tig with apparently little issue, so Im thinking of pulling the trigger on this package. It is an incredibly good deal, and will save me $300 to $400 over the next package I am looking at. I know the speedo (and possibly odometer) will be thrown off a bit, but ABS, etc... doesnt seem to be an issue based on my research.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am also considering these 18" Mandrus wheels with brand new toyo proxes (tires in this package are in the correct size - no variance): Mandrus 18 Wheels and tires.jpg

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes the only issue would be ride comfort

Sent through time and space using my Galaxy S III

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops. I just found out the bore hub for the Mandrus is quite different than for a VW, which would make it difficult to mount. So those are out. Guess its just the A6 reps if I feel comfortable with the smaller profile tire and variance, or keep waiting to see if something else that fits comes up on craigslist, etc...

Best,

C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts