Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Rgurley 
#1 ·
Hey, I recently got a convertible rabbit (California model) and the air conditioning does not work. However, seeing as how I live in Canada, I do not need the ac and I want to get rid of it. All it is doing for me is weighing my car down and restricting airflow to my radiator as far as I'm concerned.
Now,this is the fun part, I cant depressurize it properly because I am about an hour and a half away from the nearest mechanics shop (and it'd cost a lot to convince one to come out to do it). Also, the car needs a new clutch and I honestly don't trust it to not break down 'till I check everything out (its old and has been sitting outside for a while). If there's any advise someone can give me that'd be awesome.

#2 ·
If its been setting for a long time chances are there isnt enough freon in the system to worry about. Just crack a line and finish releasing the stuff. Then start taking the A/C stuff off. Get a book and start reading for the clutch part. If your going to keep the car you will need one anyway. Make sure its not just the cable or something before you replace the clutch for no reason. IMHO

Twocams

Reactions: mimue
#3 ·
thanks for your help! as for the clutch, i am 99% sure it is the clutch itself. i thought at first that it was the cable but the pedal only has to be pressed a little ways before it fully disengages and released all the way before it engages again. but i will check it again just to be sure! thanks again!

#5 ·
Hey, I recently got a convertible rabbit (California model) and the air conditioning does not work. However, seeing as how I live in Canada, I do not need the ac and I want to get rid of it. All it is doing for me is weighing my car down and restricting airflow to my radiator as far as I'm concerned.
Now,this is the fun part, I cant depressurize it properly because I am about an hour and a half away from the nearest mechanics shop (and it'd cost a lot to convince one to come out to do it). Also, the car needs a new clutch and I honestly don't trust it to not break down 'till I check everything out (its old and has been sitting outside for a while). If there's any advise someone can give me that'd be awesome.
If you're interested in selling the complete air conditioner system, including the heater box and engine brackets, I am interested. I have a non air conditioner complete system I could supply to you for the colder weather. let me know either way what you want to do with it. I have a 81 pickup to put it into.

#6 ·
If you're interested in selling the complete air conditioner system, including the heater box and engine brackets, I am interested. I have a non air conditioner complete system I could supply to you for the colder weather. let me know either way what you want to do with it. I have a 81 pickup to put it into. by the way mine is a diesel, but I dont think that will make a lot of difference, except maybe some modification to the engine brackets.

#12 ·
I would be more interested in doing a trade, for your Air Conditioner/Heater box, control panel, Lines/Hoses, Engine mounting brackets, Engine pulley for the Air Conditioner, and anything that will make the Air Conditioner functional when I reinstall it on my Diesel Pickup. If we could do a swap, that would be Great.

#13 ·
Hi Lynn,
I wish I had all of the components for the system but I only have the interior HVAC part of the system. The blower motor worked but when I removed but should be rebuilt or at least replace the bearings. I live in Portland Oregon and will see if I can find what you are looking for as far as the components inside the engine bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.