Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta remove the engine cover to change my air filter? Are u kidding me? Seems like a huge pain in the ass, but i dont wanna pay the dealer to do something I can do myself. How difficult is it? Is it worth doing myself? Other then that I love my Rabbit, so much car for the money.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't know if you do but the engine cover came off easily for me. I just pulled on one corner and another 2 popped off. You just have to unscrew the intake at the top right and it's off without problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I would like to ask a question, do you really need to remove the sensors as mentioned in the link below or can i just remove the air intakes to access the air filter?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
You really have to remove the whole thing, sensor included. Considering there are 5 screws on the underside to remove next and the whole thing is huge, it is best done on a bench rather than hanging over the car. Yes it is more work, but it is not difficult work, just time consuming.

Think of it as more quality time with a loved one! ;)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Press down on the lock and they should pop out easily. If they don't then you have not disengaged the lock. Tearing a wire at the connector can be an expensive repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just changed the air filter for the first time...

I've owned my 2006 Rabbit for a year and a half now and finally changed the air intake filter for the first time while doing an oil change. This page really helped out quite a bit. Thanks for the tips on this forum. They were very much appreciated.

She's like a brand new car again. Felt a little sluggish as of late. Neat design that VeeDub has chosen with this round of Golf/Rabbits.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts