Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The side mirrors on the 2017 Alltrack may be stylish, but they're too small to be safe. On the left, I cannot position the mirror to cover the entire blind spot. Same on the right, even with the convex surface. This is a first for me, and I've owned many cars. Where's the design validation?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
That's why the area you can't see is called "blind-spot."

Every single RV mirror has them no matter where you position it,
you just change the blind-spot location.

Your only alternative is to put one of those DOME mirror stick-on
things on the mirrors. You will never, EVER cover the blind-spot, and
if you cover the one you want, you get another one somewhere else.

The mirrors are not too small to be safe, or the car would not be on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not so. With every previous car I've owned (including my 2003 Passat) I could position the left mirror so that a car overtaking me on the left would be visible in the side mirror before I lost it in the rearview mirror, and would remain so until I could detect it in my peripheral vision. Voila, no blind spot.

The so-called blind spot is blind for most people because they foolishly position the mirror to duplicate what they see out the back window.

And if you think that cars are not allowed on the road with unsafe features, I don't know how to respond to that !

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Not so. With every previous car I've owned (including my 2003 Passat) I could position the left mirror so that a car overtaking me on the left would be visible in the side mirror before I lost it in the rearview mirror, and would remain so until I could detect it in my peripheral vision. Voila, no blind spot.

The so-called blind spot is blind for most people because they foolishly position the mirror to duplicate what they see out the back window.

And if you think that cars are not allowed on the road with unsafe features, I don't know how to respond to that !
They'll pull you over if your center brake like flashes, here in the USA...

The US has the most strict road rules...

Whatever ya say man, good luck....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts