Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
Well, VW was worried about a single belt failure for the water pump so much so that they added a pulley.
This applied to Power steering models They used the power steering pump added a pulley on top and the water pump too.
Ran from the Crank, Water pump, power steering pump. Crank, water pump a/c compressor.

On my 90-93's I am back to the single belt..... I don't know if it was a tension thing or not.

I do know that on the a/c if you have the 84 Cabriolet adjuster (Barrel bolt slide) as pictured above it is a whole lot easier than the early bracket, or the later star bracket
and I can get good tension on the Belts.

For the a/c rubbing you can add a washer or 2, between the pulley back side and the alternator to space it out a weee bit more as in 1/8 of an inch which would solve your
rubbing issue, I would of never thunked of a FORD pulley, as the spinning faster probably eliminates the bump of the fuel to start charge.

I like.

Sg you ought to do a separate thread, on that pulley and I can sticky it in to the diy's.
" A/C delete pulley Option." which @ 14bucks is cheaper than the Toywagen pulley.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Other prices are 17-18 but still cheaper than that Toy one I bet.

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
The alternator didn't change shafts over the years as there were 2 seperate versions of alternators. The Bosch (OEM EURO) on Cabriolets, Vanagons, Golfs, Passat's.....
And the
Motorola 80 Westy, and some Euro Models....

Most differences that I have seen over the years isn't in the Shafts, it is in the Pulley Widths or how far it sticks out, then for the A/C whether you have the Sanden A/C Compressor under the alternator or the York Compressor which was above the alternator.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts